View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012   #43
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wanting National Respect for Team is Part of Being a Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
Not talking about people saying the Texans are the best or ranking them #1 in a poll, talking about the air-time which still lacks... And the fact they are ranked #1 in the polls and still don't get as much air-time just goes with my whole point..it is turning around, though...

Like i said in the blog, i understand why there's been a lack...truly it doesn't bother me that much.. it just really bothers me that some expect fans not to care about it, with the whole "you should just want them to win" take...if that were the case why even tune into the games? Just check back in February and see how it shook out...
It seems that anyone who spends time watching media has recognized that the Texans ARE getting recognition from the talking heads in form of an almost consensus "best Team in NFL"-ish type banter. I was just thinking in the past few days, that despite this, as I sit in front of the TV or listen on the radio(mind you I am in NC), national correspondents still seem to be lacking in air time as Drunken Cookie suggests. While some want to maybe interpret that as a lack of respect, which is fine.. I don't care about their respect... I care about Score Board. But, what I do NOT like is stemming from the fact that when I do actually sit in on a national broadcast, being a fan, I'm definitely anxious to get as much insight, knowledge, opinion, info.. whatever about MY team as I can. And given the old notion that we've all heard throw around... it comes with winning..... Now we ARE winning and have this engrained sense of entitlement that I should be witnessing the lion share of air time for MY team for once :-) Granted.. as a franchise-long fan, I recognize an increase and am ecstatic in what I do hear.. Just longing for more. Meanwhile, Jets fans, on the inverse may be having the opposite effect in that they are hearing TOO much of what they don't want to hear!

Personally, I've settled on the notion, that as of today, Houston being one of 2 remaining unbeaten teams in the NFL after 4 weeks, kind of forces the media to recognize they have likely arrived. If the winning continues, and say we find the team sitting at 8-0 or 9-0 (I believe its possible/borderline probable), those talking heads will transition from recognizing to really believing as well. It's easy for me to believe... I've been hopefully anticipating the day belief becomes reality and with each passing week, I'm savoring the heightened sense of pride I feel that I personally can't imagine being able to feel if not for the past ups and DOWNS I've endured following practically every game since Sept. 8, 2002.

It's a GREAT year to be a Texan Fan.