View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012   #16
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wanting National Respect for Team is Part of Being a Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
There's no guarantee that will bring any national respect either. Remember the Rocket's 1st NBA title and how they were "dissed" by the so called "national media" when, I think it was Sports Illustrated, left them off the front cover of their magazine and put some lame golf tournament coverage on the front. They backpedaled some when the Houston fans started complaining and cancelling their subscriptions, and they rushed to put out a special issue with all Rockets NBA Championship coverage.

It doesn't bother me much anymore about what the national media thinks of Houston and its sports teams. I've come to expect it from them. I guess the only revenge we have now is, in the immortal words of Al Davis (aka. "the crypt-keeper"), "Just win baby!"
Yes, I remember that very well, and you are correct, there is no guarantee the media will respect us even if we do win a SB, which solidifies my point about them being bias. As for fans from other teams respecting us, that will come with time. I still remember all the positive comments made about our team from Ravens fans when we were there last year. One that sticks out to me was, "we have no reason to hate you." Will winning a SB give opposing teams fans a reason to "hate" us?? Who knows. I'll always "hate" the cowboys, BUT, I LOVE the Niners!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote