View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012   #5
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1/4 Season 2013 Mock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Short being of Purdue fame may have inside track with RS alum in charge. Run stopper with explosiveness, good work ethic who can collapse the pocket.

Dallas Thomas, addressing OT depth would be a solid choice. I would prefer Wisconsin OT Ricky Wagner especially for RT because of his size & core strength.

Jordan Poyer, how did you come up with him? excellent choice, Beavers led the nation with one of the best defenses & Poyer is just one of many studs. This is a really adept pick, even though DB is not this high of need IMO.

Finally address WR. Is it just me but are Texans that stacked @ WR? Andre has a couple or maybe three years until his Hall of Fame career is complete. Lestar Jean has played in 3 games over two years? Walter is not a weapon & also getting up there. K-mart has more drops than catches. Posey so far has been the invisible man. I see addressing WR with a legitimate playmaker critical & this year unlike last year use at least the 2nd pick on someone who can start make immediate impact. Patton reminds me a little of Brian Quick who I liked but went a lot higher #33 to St. Louis. Not worth that but if he was available this late hell yeah.

Second one to take Hyde. Love the Iowa program, tenacious player I see him as SS going forward, give Quin back-up.

Texans need to solidify ILB position. Cushing was a DE then a SAM before winding up @ ILB so we need to broaden our search. I'm intriqued with BB pick (Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky 6'1" 265) that's thinking outside the box.

Like the name Blaze. OL is always an option. If he is there this late another hell yeah!

I hear you with taking a punter, even though Donnie Jones has been excellent. I don't see Texans drafting a punter until his production drops.

We do have a ton of WR's which is exactly why taking an elite one early is so important. This late could be any position. Last year they took Mondek then cut him loose, didn't even sign him to the practice squad even though there are depth concerns @ position. Last couple years 7th rd. pick has meant diddly doo, so I would recommend using it earlier in the draft to move up a few spots in the 3rd or 4th to grab a Poyer or Patton

Thanks for the review guys, good constructive criticism. Although I disagree that a pass rushing OLB is a need, we're deep at OLB.

*Short or Jesse Williams just make so much sense for our system. I think both would work equally well here.
*I like Wagner as well but like BB pointed out to me he seems a little slow for NFL OT. I think he'd be a stud at OG for us but he'd be like Winston at RT, great in run blocking but has trouble with the outside speed rushers.
*I just watched a bunch of videos looking for basic CB skills and athleticism/fluidity. I looked at Johnny Adams, Micah Hyde, Logan Ryan, Jordan Poyer, and Terry Hawthorne. I really like Hawthorne but there's no way he's still available in the 3rd, looks to be an early 2nd to me. Hyde and Ryan both look like future Safeties, and Adams is ehhhh nothing special. Of course everything will change between now and April, some will move up and some down.
*I see Hyde as depth behind Quin as well and our Safety depth needs alot of work. Hyde only falls to the 4th because of a change of positions transferring to the NFL.
*I'd like to solidify ILB as well but how early of a pick do we spend on a 2 down rotational player? Also the need for ILB will be lessened with a better DT/NT in the middle. I like Jackson as well.
*I like Blaze size, strength, and experience at the position.
*I'm just thinking we solidify the P position for the next 10-12 yrs. so that we can quit buying these relatively expensive aged FA every year. We can save some money here, and have a backup K as well.
*I thought of an extra WR here for competition purposes. I could also go for a FB to solidify the position as well, maybe Zach Boren-FB from Ohio St. Most 7th round picks don't make their respective teams rosters as long as the roster has good talent already. I'm thinking the extra competition will be good because I like Martin but Jean hasn't shown me anything to go wow about and Posey is a mistake that will take Kubiak years to admit to. Even if Posey works out I think he tops out as a #3 or #4 WR, nothing special.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 10-05-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote