View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is Wade phliips holding back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Yes, I think the coaching staff has made a strategic decision to stay in their base packages for the most part, until a team starts to beat it.

And I believe that is true for offense, for the most part, as well as defense.

The only exception offensively was when they started the game against the jags with several screen plays in a row. I thought it worked well, but it seemed strange to me at the time.
I don't necessarily think that Wade has been holding back.
If I remember correctly, I think we blitzed the young QBs more.
And also, when we accumulated a big lead (which happened every game so far), we scaled back.

On offense, I remember reading a piece about Kubiak scripting plays while he was with the Broncos (we're doing the same thing here - about 15 plays.)
Basically, we work on a number of plays (or rather a number of sets of play) every week; game-planning differently against different opponents.
If the script works well, we stay with it; if it doesn't, we adjust.
Kubiak also said that once in a while, he would throw the script out of the window when it seems that the defense was well prepared for it.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote