View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012   #84
76Texan
Hall of Fame
 
76Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,527
Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Cut...Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
This stat is telling. Both of our backs have dropped in production this year, most likely due to either defenses keying in on it (allowing our air attack to flourish in the first 4 games) or because our two new starters still need time to either develop or gel with the rest of the line.

It's strange to take the two changes: change in offensive line and change in Arian's diet, along with the statistical evidence of the ENTIRE running attack struggling, and point to Arian's diet as the reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
We're not being creative with our running plays at all. It seems like we're running 95% stretch plays and the other 5% is a power run on 3rd down and 1. I want to see more pitches, draws, counters, something. Our running game hasn't looked this bad since 2009 and you can't use the same recipes you used when you had road graders like Winston and Brisiel.
It looks like a combination of all these thiings, except for the concern about Caldwell, Jones, or Newton.

I have watched each play very closely (with the help of the endzone view from the coach tapes - through NFL Game Rewind), and there were more poor plays to the left side (plays that resulted in a loss of yardage or no to little gain).

Overall, all the guys had their share of subpar plays (all the O-linemen, and also Casey at FB.)
OD and Graham, on the other hand, performed quite well.
From what I can gather, Wade Smith probably allowed the most penetration (but he's been good on pass blocking.)
The combination of Caldwell and Jones might exceed that, but did not result in more "poor" plays.

On top of that, neither Foster nor Tate had exploded for a long one yet.

Last year, Foster had run of 43, 42, 30, 28, 27 and 22 (in the regular season)
This year, his longest was 22.

The same goes to Tate.

Another 20 yards would have brought Foster's average from 3.7 up to 3.9
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote