Originally Posted by Wolf6151
My newest picks for next year.
1. Kawaan Short-DT/NT, I like the size, ability to stuff the middle run, and stand up to the double teams. I'd have no problem with BB's pick of Jesse Williams-DT here either.
2. Dallas Thomas-OT, Tennessee has moved him from LT to LG this year but I think he has the athleticism to play RT and I don't have the confidence that BB has in Newton. I think Newton will be a very good swing OT for us much like Butler was but I don't think he's the answer to RT long term and Harris is a patchwork.
3. Jordan Poyer-CB, the more I look at next years CB class the less I like it. Many of them will be future Safeties in the NFL instead of CB's. I think Poyer adds some good depth after McCain leaves in FA and Harris moves up to Nickle.
3b. Quinton Patton-WR, I like this guys ability to catch with his hands, run routes, and ability to go over the middle/not afraid to play physical, decent speed as well. Despite what Jean, and Martin can do we need extra talent at the position and I've got no confidence in Posey at all. I also think Walter is a possible salary cap cut, hope not though.
4. Micah Hyde-CB/S, he's stiff for a CB and his future in the NFL is at Safety, for that reason I think he falls a little.
5. Jonathan Bostic-ILB, DT in the 1st lessens the need for an early ILB. I like Bostic's size, speed, and productivity. He adds depth to the position along with special teams.
5b. Blaze Foltz-OG, we've got Brooks and Jones already and I think Brooks in the starter at RG in 2013 so we only need some added depth at OG. I could also go for Braden Hansen-OG here as well.
6. Quinn Sharp-P, Jones is old for the NFL and a better P to hold the position for the next 10+ yrs. would be nice at a time when field position is so important. Sharp is also a Kicker so we'd have an extra K on the roster in cases of injury.
7. Erik Highsmith-WR, great size for the position and added depth to push our young corp. of WR's. I've read that he has a great work ethic as well.
Short being of Purdue fame may have inside track with RS alum in charge. Run stopper with explosiveness, good work ethic who can collapse the pocket.
Dallas Thomas, addressing OT depth would be a solid choice. I would prefer Wisconsin OT Ricky Wagner especially for RT because of his size & core strength.
Jordan Poyer, how did you come up with him? excellent choice, Beavers led the nation with one of the best defenses & Poyer is just one of many studs. This is a really adept pick, even though DB is not this high of need IMO.
Finally address WR. Is it just me but are Texans that stacked @ WR? Andre has a couple or maybe three years until his Hall of Fame career is complete. Lestar Jean has played in 3 games over two years? Walter is not a weapon & also getting up there. K-mart has more drops than catches. Posey so far has been the invisible man. I see addressing WR with a legitimate playmaker critical & this year unlike last year use at least the 2nd pick on someone who can start make immediate impact. Patton reminds me a little of Brian Quick who I liked but went a lot higher #33 to St. Louis. Not worth that but if he was available this late hell yeah.
Second one to take Hyde. Love the Iowa program, tenacious player I see him as SS going forward, give Quin back-up.
Texans need to solidify ILB position. Cushing was a DE then a SAM before winding up @ ILB so we need to broaden our search. I'm intriqued with BB pick (Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky 6'1" 265) that's thinking outside the box.
Like the name Blaze. OL is always an option. If he is there this late another hell yeah!
I hear you with taking a punter, even though Donnie Jones has been excellent. I don't see Texans drafting a punter until his production drops.
We do have a ton of WR's which is exactly why taking an elite one early is so important. This late could be any position. Last year they took Mondek then cut him loose, didn't even sign him to the practice squad even though there are depth concerns @ position. Last couple years 7th rd. pick has meant diddly doo, so I would recommend using it earlier in the draft to move up a few spots in the 3rd or 4th to grab a Poyer or Patton