View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Theismann says Romo “isn’t that good”

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Romo is like the old Texans...great once in a blue moon, good when it doesn't really count much, and awful when it matters most.

The End. Right? Right.
Not right. Don't agree at all.

He is a lot better than "great once in a blue moon." The stats above say otherwise. You can't have 3-4 great games and stink and be in the Top 5 all time for QB rating. He has been in this category for over 3 years now. His numbers last year were monster. He also has 13 4th quarter comebacks and 13 game winning drives. 4 of these happened last year

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...layer=RomoTo00

So its not like he chokes all the time. Even when they have failed in December his numbers haven't always been horrible. His issue isn't being awful when it counts most...though that may mean different things to different people. To me it is late December games. His issue is having his stinkers in situations where he kills wins that would lift their status anytime in the year....Detroit and Giants last year. This Chicago game. They can happen anytime and without warning. That's the issue..consistency. You get the Giants game where he might have played his best game ever and then you get this game. Their schedule coming up is BRUTAL for 5 games. He might play excellent for those games but then he might stink up the joint vs say a lesser team. I mean the guy carried them with a busted body last year against a tough 49er team.

As I said above, the question isn't whether the guy is a top QB...I think he is Top 10-12. The issue is would you trust him to win you a SB and that is a good debate because I'm never sure if his bad games are solely due to the O-line product that I've witnessed or a mental product where he will never "get it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That's the thing though - Cowboys QB's are up against a standard far above most other teams. The expectation is HoF and SB's. There are 23 QB's in the HoF. Many of them don't have a ring. So basically only half the league has ever had a HoF QB and even a smaller set has one which has won a SB. The Niners and Cowboys have two each and two Cowboys are splitting 5 SB's, the Niners 4. To carry that farther and address your point of having to make plays with his feet, Romo is playing exactly up against that in Rodger the Dodger, Captain Comeback Staubach - a QB who made time or distance with his feet and still made good decisions consistently. Then he is the anti-Aikman as well since Aikman was Mr. Post Season. It may not be fair but that is the standard for Romo.
Incredibly excellent post Cak!!Must spread rep!