Thread: The Read-Option
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012   #16
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
The Panthers went with the zone read only 3 times (all in the fourth quarter).
The rest of Newton's runs was QB scrambles (I don't think I miss any.)

He gained 13, 8, and 3.
Newton's shiftiness and explosiveness on second gear made quite a few defenders miss (name some of your favorite front seven players.)
A good play by any of them could have stopped the play somewhere around the LOS.

Tebow has very good athleticism, but he's no Cam Newton.

The zone read or wildcat is best defended by interrupting the mess point (per coaches like Cowher).
A defense that gears to penetrate the backfield like the Texans is as well-equipped to stop this scheme as any.

Obviously, the offense schemes to block the defenders from penetrating.
It remains to see which one can execute better.

The variable is Tebow, and like I said, he's no Cam Newton.
I agree, Tebow is nowhere close to being Cam. Call me crazy, though, but I'd rather see Sanchez taking the snaps rather than Tebow.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote