View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012   #26
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A&M going "PC" now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
I think the main reason Horns are laughing about it is because A&M has spent decades characterizing Austin the way you did -- as a bunch of queers (or "whorns").
I stand corrected, I thought Austin was rather high up there on the list. No matter, it wasn't meant to be derogatory, just meant to point out the tolerance of the city. I didn't mean to characterize it like it's just "a bunch of queers", rather I was saying that they are progressive in accepting GLBT types (incredibly so when compared to the rest of the South). One would think that a city which prides itself on diversity would let something like this go unnoticed, if in fact it's not considered weird or deviant.

Quote:
A&M is also regarded as one of the least gay friendly campuses in America. Sheesh, A&M was the defendant in the first federal case forcing colleges to allow LGBT groups. There's kind of a track record here.
Yes, I'm well aware of that, and I have mentioned before how disgusted I was to see a "Straight Pride Parade" on campus while at A&M. A&M has a lot of growing up to do when it comes to minority acceptance, there's no question about that. But as we have acknowledged in countless discussions regarding racism, the best way to overcome bigotry is to not identify people by groups and create further division. Treat humans as humans, no matter how weird they may be.

While I'm sure it's fun for non-Aggies to poke fun at the school over this, it would be best served to accept it as being unremarkable, rather than treat it as deviance and a tool of attacking an entire university. Let the anti-homo Aggies be the one's denouncing it, and maybe they will realize how petty it is to do so. Personally, I would expect more from those who claim to want equal civil rights for gays, especially the ones like yourself who consider themselves "progressive".