View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012   #85
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 35830 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What Jets Fans Saying About The Upcoming Game (I Agree With Them)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
In a 3 way tie head to head gets tossed unless a team sweeps or is swept. Very possible scenario.
The head to head doesn't "get tossed" unless not all the teams played each other. If the head to head is even (all teams 1-1 against each other) it is used - it is just not decisive so you go to the next tiebreaker. If the Conferecne record is even it is not tossed - you go to the next tiebreaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
conference record is ahead of common games when seeding teams with the same record.

In a three way tie, say Ravens Pats Texans, it is seeded according to conference record unless there a sweep in head-2-head.

So AFC record is VERY important.
He explicitly stated concern tiebreaker between the Patriots and the Texans. If the Texans beat the Patriots the Texans win any two way tiebreaker against the Pats. If the Texans beat the Pats, the Texans beat out the Pats in a three way involving the Ravens. Or the Broncos. Those are the most likely teams.

You play 12 AFC teams and only 4 NFC teams. So the clearer way to think about winning the Conference tiebreaker is "you must lose more games to the NFC than the other teams". Pats, Jets, Ravens, Broncos, and Chargers are all already 0-1 vs the NFC. So to win the Conference tiebreaker, the Texans need to lose at least 2 (probably 3) of their 4 games against the NFC. I would rather just beat them instead and have a better record than the other AFC teams.