Originally Posted by Wolf6151
OK, my opinion.
1. Williams, I love this pick. Williams, Kawaan Short, or even Sylvester Williams. A better NT lessens our need at ILB, stuffs the run up the middle, and adds pressure to the QB by occasionally collapsing the pocket. Great pick.
2. Jordan, I don't know anything about him since I haven't been investigating OLB/DE as a team need. I just don't see the need.
3. Hyde, nice pick, I've got him in my latest mock as well in the 4th round. I'm thinking he's more of a Safety than CB, thus I think he falls a little.
3b. Bailey, I like the player and quality O-line depth is always a good thing. Do you think he's got the speed/quickness to play in our system? Interesting that you favor an OG more than an OT.
4. Davis, I don't know anything about him but the size and speed are perfect. Why does someone with his size and speed fall to the 4th? Does he have the athleticism, routes, and hands?
5. Stoneburner, I see the need at TE but don't like next years TE class much. Because of his contract I think OD stays at least one more year and I think we can re-sign Casey cheap = no need.
5b. Jackson, I like the pick and in the proper round with good size for the position. Great pick.
6. Armstrong, I don't like this pick. He needs to add 20 lbs. and play ILB/MLB. Lacks coverage skills and in our system coverage is more important than a hard hitter.
7. BPA, maybe a FB, P, or an extra WR.
1. Cody has surprised me at how well he has done, Mitchell not so much. It's possible Cody could return but I'd still draft Nose & move Mitchell behind Smith. Have not seen much of Short and Sylvester has not looked good recently. Saw a comment where he was not playing 100%.
2. Well if Barwin is gone either as FA or we don't want him back..he has not done much to win my heart. OLB don't get big bucks for getting close to QB after ball is gone or he is tackled by someone else. Has Mercilus actually impressed anyone? I have not seen a decent OLB at our pick in 3rd or after.
3. Bailey is what held up this mock for two weeks. lol He has good reviews from last year but every time I watch him I keep waiting for him to convince me. I have not seen him over power one play. He is effective in getting in the way but seems, IDK, not interested? He is rated as #2 OG in 2014 by CBS. I watched OTs that might become OGs and OGs last two weeks and none with Bailey's skill set caught my eye. At first, I kept going back to Matthew or Barrett Jones dropping in first but I see neither falling that far. Also, I could not then find a Nose that would be there in third. I like Wisconsin's Rick Wagner but I think he will climb high in second so Texans cannot get him. If Jonathan Cooper OG N. Carolina is there in 2nd, I look hard at taking him. I think Newton & Harris have RT sewn up.
4. Davis is 19/375 19.7 avg and 1 TD. Against Cincinatti he was 5/101 20.1 QB Logan spreads ball to Davis, Corey Fuller & Dyrell Roberts. 6'2" for last two guys. Davis was a QB before coming to Tech and has played at half back. At Kansas he ran track- triple jump. His average per catch has been consistent & caught my attention + 4.37 at his size? I'd sit him behind AJ and say do what he says. I think even if our current Jean, Martin and Posey work out, I'd take Davis.
5. Keep in mind Gary's penchant for drafting TEs. Daniels signed $22m with $6m cap hit next two seasons. He can be cut with only $2m salary bonus hitting cap '13. He turns 30 Nov 9th. I wonder if Smith could use $6m for say Casey & Quin?
Stoneburner is 7/92 with 3 TDs (can you say Dreesen?)
6. I hope 31 other teams agree with you. Yes there is a good chance Armstrong could be another Vontaze Burfict who fell out of draft & is now starting for Bengals. Might remember another Texan who had some concerns that dropped him out of draft but just re-signed by name of Arian Foster. Heck, anyway he is worth risk & I think he would do enough in coverage.