View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012   #29
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Can we talk about the big fat elephant in the room for a second...

I look at the yards per attempt...and that is what worries me. You have to consider that we had them playing from behind the entire game, and we also won the time of possession war. So even though the total rushing yards that CJ got in the first three quarters was not huge, if you consider his yards per attempt.. it is actually pretty scary numbers.

I am not worried about it yet though. Last week the Titans won their game because of big plays, and I have a feeling that we came into this game with the mindset on defense that we had to prevent the big play. So stopping CJ from running the ball wasnt really at the top of our "to do list". I mean the guy was averaging 2 yards per carry before this week... not exactly their biggest threat.

So im hoping that the issue was simply that we were more interested in preventing them from chunking us, than running it. But it is definitely something that im gonna be keeping a close eye on from now on. Since week 1 ive felt that stopping the run was our defense's biggest weakness this year. If we go up against a team that can go toe-to-toe with us offensively.. and we find ourselves in a shootout...thats when im gonna be more interested in seeing what our defense can do to stop the run.

Im very wary of the next two weeks... Jets and Packers, and I dont want to jinx it by looking too far ahead.. BUT... I feel like our next BIG challenge is gonna be week 7 against the Ravens. That is a team that is capable on both sides of the ball just like us. And Ray Rice is definitely no slouch at RB. We could see ourselves in a situation where stopping the run is tantamount to staying in the game.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote