View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012   #164
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: JJ Watt: All-Pro DE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Why do we have to be like that? Mario didn't do anything but get drafted first overall. & last we heard, from Mario, the Texans didn't even make an offer to keep him here.

The thing we should be worrying about, is "what if" Mario was still here & we had Jj Watt & Mario. Remember Mario was averaging a sack a game in Wade's system. Imagine if he were here, doing the same thing.

Jj Watt 7.5 sacks after 4 games, Mario Williams 4 sacks after 4 games. Then Antonio would have a couple, Barwin would have a couple, Reed would have a couple.

If this continues, we'll end up losing Watt to some nagging injury.

Right now, we've got basically the same thing we had when Mario was here, Mario & nothing else. Now, it's Jj Watt & nothing else. Of course, this is also the best secondary Mario never had a chance to play with. Good pass rush = good secondary, Good secondary = good pass rush. It's a chicken & egg thing.

But it never was about Mario or Jj Watt, Jj Watt wasn't going anywhere. It was about JJ & Mario, or Jj & nothing else.
I can recall maybe three or four times, MAYBE, that Mario Williams had the type of impact on games like JJ Watt has had this year already.

He's swatting down passes. He's sacking the QB at key times. He's stuffing runners who come his way. He's making everyone around him look like a million dollars. And all of it is done by being a down lineman, not a guy coming off the edge.

I really have no interest in giving Mario Williams any credit, slack, whatever we call it. At the end of the day, he has half the heart that JJ Watt is. Some guys don't embrace the pressure to perform, to lead, to set an example each week. JJ Watt does, though. That much is evident.

And if JJ Watt goes out to injury, he's still better than Mario. He could quit today, say "I'm going to dedicate my life to the pursuit of making the best pizza on the planet" and I'd say he's above and beyond Mario Williams.

I can't bring myself to display fake civility toward Mario Williams. I don't hate the guy, just don't think he deserves to be revered or even complimented much at all with what talent he leaves on the table every game.