Thread: Connor Barwin?
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012   #110
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Connor Barwin?

Alright, so I had taken a pretty long look at Barwin (even though not as extensive as I'd like), I think he's done at least OK.

Kubiak said he's been playing well; I don't agree with that whole-heartedly, but I do think that he's been doing his job, even though there wasnt' much to write home about.

In the run game, now that Cushing is playing more at WILB and the opponent does not prefer to run to his side, Barwin doesn't see as much action since he plays mostly WOLB.

In the passing game, even though he didn't show much on the stats sheet, Barwin did apply adequate pressure to make a contribution in the pass rush.
There are several contributing factors:

- Long (Dolphins) and Clady (Broncos) are good LTs
- The 3 teams we faced mostly go with a quick passing game such that the DE or OLB doesn't quite have the time to get there as their path to the QB is farther.
- Wade chooses to play soft when we have a big lead in the fourth quarter (and we did in all 3 games). He came with a straight 4-man rush against the Jags and especially the Broncos (not even a zone dog) that is quite predictable.

Against the Broncos, we were trading time for a chance to get off the field.
Forget about the miscues that gave Stokley an easy TD.
In the next drive, everything went right for the Broncos but it still took them over 5 mins to score.

McCain dropped an INT.
He then committed holding on 4th and 16.
Watt missed a tackle in the backfield on third and one.
A bogus PI call on Jackson.
An oh-well pass play that ended wtih Dreessen making the TD catch on third and 6.

In the straight 4-man pass rush, Barwin was rather ineffective for the reasons mentioned above. That and Manning's ability to get the ball out quickly unless he got jumped quickly up the middle.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote