View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Von Miller fined $15,750 for roughing Matt Schaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
I don't really care what his intent was. And he's not getting fined for what he intended to do. He got fined for driving the QB to the ground, which is what he did on that play.

Same goes for the Mays hit. Some people (including ND Kalu and Greg Koch on 790AM) say it was a good hard hit and they don't see anything wrong with it because he "didn't mean" to hit Schaub in the helmet. He damn near blew Schaub's head off with his helmet to helmet hit whether he meant it or not, that's why he got suspended.
Well said.

When it's our own QB getting put on blast, I'm starting to see why the new rules protecting QBs makes sense for all involved.

The only person being punished here is the defender. Everyone else wins. The QB wins because he might get to play longer, which means the team probably wins because they have their best QB out there, which means the fans win because your best QB is leading your team on Sundays.

Anybody want to see an NFL where the few talented QBs get hurt due to what's now deemed to be "illegal hits"...so we can watch a league where guys like Colt McCoy and Sage Rosenfels are a team's only option at QB? I don't. So I'm down with the QB protection-oriented rules on how a QB can be hit and how they cannot. Makes a lot of damn sense when you stop and really think about it.

Sorry guys, if you want awesome highlights of nasty hits...go watch the old NFL Films archives or play Madden video game and create all the hits on QBs you want to see (because in real life, OUR Quarterback needs to stay upright and under center).

Miller wrapped his arms around Schaub's knees, then launched himself and planted his helmet into Matt's chest. Going as vertical as he could go, to inflict the most speed and concentrated impact he could generate. That's not trying to sack a QB. That's trying to hurt him. And nobody here wants their QB out for the season on something like that. This is our Super Bowl year dammit.