View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012   #40
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texan weaknesses

Weaknesses:

RT, neither Newton (7th rounder in his 2nd season) or Harris (extensive injury history) thrill me with confidence. The rotation of them at the position seems to be working but I don't see either of them at this point being the long term solution to the position. Maybe Newton improves with experience, but he was a 7th round pick for a reason.

DT/NT, we've all noticed the Texans weakness in run defense up the middle. Cody will be a FA at the end of the year and Mitchell doesn't seem to be great, though I think he works well in a rotation at DT. I think Cody leaves at the end of the season and DT/NT should be a high priority in the 2013 draft. We both like the same guys here.

CB, McCain will be a FA at the end of this season and although he's only an average CB, even mediocre CB's can be expensive in FA. I think McCain will be gone at the end of the season and we still don't know what we have in Harris and Carmichael. I think we could use a talent upgrade at CB. You can never have to many good CB's.

WR, even with Jean and Martin I think we could get better at WR. It's a possibility that Walter could be a salary cap cut at the end of the season and even if he's not some better talent to be the future #2 WR with possibility of becoming the future #1 WR would sure be nice.

RG, I think this is currently a slight weakness since Caldwell has been disappointing but I think we've got the talent already on the team to fill the RG spot for years to come. Either Brooks or Jones will most likely be the future of the position.

P, Donnie Jones has been decent but not great and he's 32 yoa. and not getting any younger. Also field position is so important in the NFL so an upgrade seems to be in order here.

FB, I'd like to see us find a real full time FB for those obvious short yardage/goal line situations where Vonta was so valuable. I like Casey's versatility but he's not a real FB when you need to pound the ball in and I haven't paid any attention to Clutts.

ILB, Bradie James has been unimpressive and I'd like to see Dobbins get a shot at being the starter. Dobbins looked real good in preseason. Both James and Dobbins might be one year rentals anyway.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote