View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: EmDiggy and football gameplan, where you at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Both teams ran the football well. If Miami had a better offense and less turnovers. At least for that game it was a push. I am a fan but not a homer.
But that's not what he was saying. He was saying that Reggie Bush+Daniel Thomas+Dolphins 3rd stringer had the same talent level as Arian Foster+Ben Tate+Forsett. And that's bull. If we were to open up and allow teams to draft running backs right now and someone has a choice between drafting Arian Foster or Reggie Bush, only an idiot would choose Reggie Bush first. Arian has been much, much more productive in his career than Reggie has. The same with Tate vs. Thomas and Forsett vs. the Dolphin 3rd Stringer (who does have potential.)

The fact that our teams ran for about the same amount of yards really indicates what he should have but was not comparing. And that's our ability to run on the Miami Dolphins vs. the Dolphins ability to run on us. The Dolphins Defense was better at stopping the run than ours was but that doesn't have anything to do with the respective talent levels of Reggie Bush and Arian Foster.

Reggie Bush is having a good season so far. Last year was his best year as a running back. He started 15 games and ran for 1086 yards with a 5 ypc average. It was his first ever season over 1000 yards (out of 6 year career). He had 1 game over 200 yards rushing and 5 over 100 (including the one he went for 200 yards in.)

Arian Foster is not having a good season so far. (Damn you, Veganism!) But last year, which was not his best year as a running back, he started 13 games and ran for 1224 yards with a 4.4 ypc average. It was his second season (out of 2.5) over 1000 yards. He had 7 games over 100 yards rushing which equals the number of 100 yard rushing games Reggie Bush has had his entire career.

Now. EmDiggy would say at this point that "The Numbers ALWAYS Lie" (that's his catchphrase and I find it odious at best) and probably say that if you gave Reggie Bush the opportunities that Arian Foster had in the same sort of offense, he'd have been putting up the same sorts of numbers. But that's the same argument as saying that if you put Ryan Leaf in the right offense, he would have been better than Peyton was with the Colts. And it's a ridiculous, spurious argument to make. Because ultimately it's about production and not the fantasy of what might have been. Projecting into the future is about what you expect to happen based on past results. And when the season is done, I expect Arian to out-perform Bush again... might not happen, but it's what I expect.

For a wanna-be analyst to play the "talent" card like that was just offensive to me. I hope EmDiggy is OK but I'm not watching any more of his videos.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote