View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012   #75
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 168714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 5 questions: Ben Tate edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail.Blazr View Post
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...used-on-season

I think if you've read this article, you love the fact that Tate is on this team, but should have zero expectation that he's going to settle for getting paid less than top 10 RB money when his contract is up. Enjoy this guy while he's here, but don't rush out and buy a 44 jersey just yet. I can think of a number of teams that would love to get him under contract. I just hope it's not Indy!
This quote from the article you found is in line with my thinking...
Quote:
Today's NFL might be as much about the evolution of the passing game as it is the backs-by-committee rushing philosophy, but in the case of the latter, that typically means one high-priced back paired with a young, low-priced alternative. Given limited salary-cap resources, teams aren't willing to allocate big-money contracts to two running backs when a) they're relatively easy to replace and b) there are harder-to-fill positions elsewhere on the roster where said money could be better used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
That's a great reason to trade him or sign him and trade Arian next year. We're probably not going to be able to keep both guys long term (although that would be great) and the last thing we want is for one of these guys to end up in our division.

So trade one of them to the NFC so we only have to see him once every 4 years.
But that same paragraph I picked out also says Tate may well skip town when his contract is up. So I'll concede that's more than a remote possibility. And along that line of thinking, I agree with TPN. Rick Smith should put out some feelers right now and see who's interested in picking Tate up next year. Let them have to deal with re-signing him. Hey... Frank Gore is getting on in years, I think Tate would fit right in the 'Frisco system. Ship him out west.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote