View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012   #74
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do we have a Super Bowl team or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
THis is all subjective, but you have a very odd list of coaches that you feel were "conservative coaches." Some of them on here surely were, but guys like Bill Walsh certainly were not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I don't think there's a clear definition for "conservative." I always thought Bill Walsh was conservative in his game management.

Parcells, otoh, could be downright anti-conservative with his 4th down attempts. Cowher had a love of trick plays, although he was normally pretty conservative. Brian Billick, an offensive guy, could be a gambler at times. Gibbs would definitely take chances.

But all of those coaches also had their share of conservative decisions, as well.
The West Coast Offense is designed to control the clock methodically with runs and short passes (and an occasional shot downfield.)

The common denominators that can be found in those coaches that I listed (especially in the year they won the SB) was a strong running game and a strong defense (that didn't gamble like Buddy Ryan's D, for example).

Take Brian Billick, for example.
Even though he was an offensive mind like TPN said, the year the Ravens won the SB, his offense ranked 5th in rushing attempt and 20th in passing attempt (22nd in passing yardage.)

Wouldn't you say that it was a conservative offense?
Especially considering the Ravens had the top scoring defense and second in yard allowed.

With a defense like that, an offensive mind like Billick could have open it up much more, right?
But he didn't.

If you go down the list, that was what happened with all those teams (and coaches) that I put on that list.

And it was a long list.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote