View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012   #51
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 5 questions: Ben Tate edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm not a cap expert at all. In fact, I'll readily admit I'm clueless in that area.

<snip>

Maybe I'm totally off base here though.
Personally, I don't follow the cap stuff very closely. That's a part of the game that I don't find interesting.

But...

I don't see how things are going to continue to work using the old approaches to the cap. I think the rules about the cap -- how it grows, how it applies, the penalties, the rookie salaries, etc. -- have been put in place to handcuff the owners/GMs so that going out and giving big, monster contracts to guys is going to be a thing of the past.

I think it's going to be easier to keep your own guys because the cap rules apply to everyone and it's going to dry-up the amount of available money. I think GMs are going to have to make harder decisions about who to keep and who to let go.

It's like it's become more of a zero-sum type of game where there's only a set number of pieces of the pie instead of the ever expanding type of game where there were new pieces of pie added every year.

For example, in the "old" days, a player would sign a big deal to be the highest paid at his position and then a month later, a lesser known guy would get paid for more. And then after a year or two, that "great deal" the top guy got was now more or less mid-level and he's underpaid and holding out.

With the new rules in place, I think the top level guys are going to tend more to be the highest paid at their position for a longer amount of time because teams aren't going to be able to afford to up-the-ante as it were.

BUT.

Like I said, I don't pay much attention to those things. I could be totally and completely wrong. It's happened before.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote