View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012   #47
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 5 questions: Ben Tate edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
Maybe i'm wrong but I don't value running backs as much as most. I look at the old Oilers with the great offensive lines they had. They had some great running backs as well but when they went down guys like Allen Pinkett and Gary Brown stepped in and we did'nt miss a beat. Then I look at Denver and I see them and all the different backs that did well in their system. Now we got an undrafted free agent and a second rounder going crazy in our same scheme and make me wonder how good these guys really are. I think they are good nfl backs but I don't think they are irreplaceable.

This year we have a couple of new lineman and I pretty sure we will see Foster and Tate both struggle untill the o-line has some time together.
You have selective memory. When we didn't have a horse like Mike Rozier to pound the ball we were in trouble in 3rd and short and goal line situations.

...but for the sake of discussion, let's say you're right and RBs are easily replaceable in this system (I don't believe that myself; I think it takes a special kind of back with remarkable vision to excell in this system), who would give us anything more than a 4th for a 2nd string, "system RB"? So why wouldn't Tate stay here with a playoff caliber team rather than try to get paid in what's become a pass happy league that values RBs less and less as the seasons progress??

I think Tate stays here.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote