View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012   #74
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McManis traded to Bears for FB Clutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
just watched every bears offensive snap from last nite watching clutts (btw how awesome is gamepass condensed- they have the whole game fitted into 25 mins). color me unimpressed overall tbh. dunno what the bears fans on that forum were on about his strong blocking at the GL? maybe last yr pre-injury possibly?

last nite, clutts was blocking most of the time he was in (about 50% of total offensive plays id estimate) and while he usually got a hat on a hat and wasnt getting knocked back, he wasnt plowing holes either which, considering alot of the time he was blocking a cb on outside runs, wasnt very impressive. didnt see him pop anyone back once like norris did last nite. also once or twice, his man was able to disengage and make the tackle 5-10 yds downfield.

passing wise he was targetted 4 times iirc on short routes- caught 3 inc one nice grab in traffic on a bullet pass & one drop on a low throw that he tried to one hand grab- not a horrible drop like some of norris' last nite, but one that a good catching fb should make. wasnt in for any straight pass protection only play action.

he's not gonna unseat casey anytime soon barring injury

didnt notice any ST plays but was focusing on offense and skipped a few of em
I take it that you were watching the PS game week 4.
No, he wasn't great in this game, but playing with scrubs doesn't allow his effectiveness to show through.

I had watched some 9-10 games from last year and all 4 PS games this year, and I really like Clutts.

I think he fits the Texans well.
He will need to learn the playbook and the blocking scheme and may not see the field much in the first few games.

It looks like the Bears had decided to do away with the FB slot.
They will still use a TE there once in a while.

This is what they did in several games last year.
There were several games in which they didn't have the FB in but less than a dozen snaps.

Clutts had a few poor moments, but nothing too terrible.

The five games in which he played more than 20 snaps, the Bears won all five of them (Panthers, Vikings, Bucs, Eagles, Lions week 14).
Forte had 4 of his best 5 rushing performances in those games.
His best performance was against the Panthers, a game that saw him dominate the opposition thoroughly (Forte had his career day with some 205 yards on the ground.)

I've seen him pancaked a few LBs.
I've seen him taking on some D-linemen pretty strongly.
I've seen him leap high to reel in a catch (he looks like one of our TEs on this play - but obviously, we don't expect him to replace Casey.)

To me, he looks better than Vickers in blocking, but not quite the level of Vonta Leach (the potential is there though.)

His hands are better than any true FB we've ever had (and I don't consider Casey a true FB).

Clutts should complement Casey well and provide the Texans with the FB depth that has been lacking.
(I was not a fan of neither Norris nor any of the young players.)

I really like this trade.
I think it's a win-win situation for both teams.
McMannis is now with a team that play a lot of cover 2 and Clutts is with the Texans, a team that likes to run the ball with a FB much more than the Bears.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote