View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012   #163
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3508 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 Hurricane Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Glad to hear you are doing ok. Houston had a tropical storm, Allison, that turned into a major flood mess. Damn thing actually turned around and came back to Houston. The storm categories are purely a measure of wind speed, they don't in any way account for amount of rainfall, which can be the most damaging part of the storm. It is unfortunate, and a better rating system needs to be considered. I think lots of people said, "it is just a cat 1, we have lived thru worse.", not knowing the amount of water that was going to fall outta the sky. Houston definitely learned the lesson the hard way with Allison.
Pretty much that's why people stayed. As you mentioned, wind speed is used as the primary measuring stick for hurricane strength, followed by pressure, and we had some buoys off the coast getting windspeeds of 95+ MPH while all the meteorologists here were saying that based on pressure at landfall (968), this storm should've been a very strong category 2 storm. Seems like an easy classification to me. I think if they would've called it a category 2, more people would've obviously left. But down here we get close to tropical storm conditions on rainy days throughout most of the summer anyways, so a category 1 storm in most people's minds isn't much. Heck, I stayed.

What's tricky is that Plaq did NOT flood anywhere near this bad for Katrina, which was a much more powerful storm. People knew Isaac would being more rain there since the track had them on the bad side of the storm while Katrina had most of Plaq on the good side, but you cannot predict something like a storm stalling twice for hours over one area.

-Credit to False Start for this signature-
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote