View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012   #162
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 Hurricane Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post
So far, doing well over here. I'm one of the very few lucky people in the New Orleans metro area to still have power. The storm has stalled for a third time in the last 24 hours now near Baton Rouge. Nearly all of Plaquemines Parish is under 6 feet of water, some parts of Plaq are under 12 feet. Plaq Parish president Billy Nungesser and Grand Isle Mayor David Camardelle are saying this wasn't a category 1 storm, and I certainly believe them.
Glad to hear you are doing ok. Houston had a tropical storm, Allison, that turned into a major flood mess. Damn thing actually turned around and came back to Houston. The storm categories are purely a measure of wind speed, they don't in any way account for amount of rainfall, which can be the most damaging part of the storm. It is unfortunate, and a better rating system needs to be considered. I think lots of people said, "it is just a cat 1, we have lived thru worse.", not knowing the amount of water that was going to fall outta the sky. Houston definitely learned the lesson the hard way with Allison.