Originally Posted by Wolf6151
1. Fiedo, I really like the player but with the money we still owe OD, I doubt he's going anywhere. I just think we have higher priorities in the 1st round than backup TE.
2. Wagner, I love this pick. I'd run to the podium if he's still available. He'd lock down RT for years to come.
3. Borland, I don't know anything about him but like you I question his height.
4. Renfree, I don't know anything about him, I haven't studied the QB's because I just don't see a need at QB.
5. Polk, I don't know anything about this guy but he sounds like a Pollard clone, big hitter. What's he like in coverage? If he can't cover, why bother. The days of the Pollard style SS are pretty much over in this pass happy NFL.
6. Goard, again don't know anything about him, but I like the size and God know's we need added depth at WR. Can he run a route and get separation?
7. Opurum, don't know anything about the guy and question the need, we're pretty deep at OLB.
Why no interior O-line depth? When Brooks takes someones job next season we'll need some quality OG depth. S. Smith ain't cutting it.
1) How much money do we still own OD? Anyway, with how reasonable rookie deals are now, I am not too concerned. OD is on the wrong side of 30, and has a history of injuries dating back to his days at Wisconsin. If we can add depth, we should. Still, if there is a good prospect at a different position available that is NOT a reach, then I would be cool with that.
3) I am not too concerned with his height. It is just why he will drop a bit. Height is over-rated at certain positions, where size (IE muscle) is more important.
4) I think a guy to groom at QB is a good idea. Maybe the 4th is a bit early to start searching, but Schaub is getting older, Yates is still a question mark, and Keenum is definitely still an unknown.
5) Its not that Polk cant cover. He is a good DB, its just that playing the ball is not his forte. Yet. He is a project, but he has the tools. Also, he is a great character guy.
6) Goard is RAW. He does not run all the routes (from the limited bit I have seen), and will definitely need work in that area.
7) You cant have enough rushers at OLB in a 3-4. Barwin/Reed/Braman/Whitney is a good group, but I want to say most teams go into the season with 5 OLBs. I could be off base on that though. Linebackers are great late round value picks because they play special teams.
I did over-look OG. I think OC is set, but we could use another OG. When I do my 1/4 mock (I plan on doing mocks at 1/4 season, 1/2 season, 3/4 season, and after the season), that will probably be rectified.
Thanks for the response, it made me think through what I have here.