Originally Posted by Wolf6151
We haven't addressed 2013 draft needs in a few months. Now that training camp is all but over and the regular season is just around the corner we should have a better assessment of 2013 draft needs. They certainly have changed from what I thought they'd be when starting this thread back in May, at least the order of need has changed. Here's how I currently see the needs, but with some players on the bubble for 2013 this list is by no means set in stone.
1. WR- I know many feel that Jean and Martin have had a great TC, and they have, I just don't see either of them as a current #2 with potential to be a #1. Also I think Kevin Walter stands a fair chance of being a salary cap casualty in 2013 so we'll need quality and depth at WR. I think WR is a 1st round need.
2. DT/NT- I think Sean Cody will be gone at the end of this season if he even plays and we'll need a new guy to work in rotation with Mitchell who hasn't looked very good in preseason so far. This is a 2nd or 3rd round need.
3. Safety- this need all depends on if we re-sign Glover Quin or not. BB thinks he could be gone in 2013 and I'm thinking he might be on the bubble. He's not a big time play maker so re-signing him shouldn't be terribly expensive but I think his future with the team might depend on how much money we need to re-sign other players. Quin could be a salary cap cut to re-sign Schaub and/or Barwin. This is 50/50 and could go either way. If Quin stays there's no need, if he goes then it's a 2nd or 3rd round need.
4. OT- Butler is gone and we'll need a new swing OT to take Newtons place. 3rd round need.
5. OG- Brooks steps up and takes someones job in 2013, probably Caldwell's due to the money still owed to W. Smith so interior O-line depth will be a need and may be addressed twice in 2013. 3rd - 5th round need.
6. CB- this need will depend on if we re-sign McCain or not. He's not great but he's not bad either and even mediocre CB's can be expensive. With JJ, KJ, and Harris probably taking the nickle spot in 2013 McCain might be gone. I can see CB maybe being a 3rd - 5th round need.
7. ILB- James is probably a one year rental but I think since this isn't a full time spot and we have depth with Dobbins, Alexander, and Louiseau the Texans probably won't address this until the later rounds unless someone great just unexpectedly falls in their lap.
8. FB- this is a 6th or 7th round priority but I sure would like to nail down this position with a real FB that's here to stay.
I once thought that DE and TE could be needs in 2013 due to Antonio Smith and OD being possible salary cap cuts but having read on another site about the money still owed them it makes them less likely to be cut. How do yall see our needs now that TC is almost over?
Although my thoughts bounce around a lot between this time of year and the next draft, I still like my most recent mock for 2013. As most I agree that Matt Schaub will be the focal point of what Texans do. I want to go BPA but still address our weaknesses. Here is a link from August 29th on Benton teaching the Oline and being successfull with low in the draft selections. http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...age-of-benton/
He has good record but then I think of Shelley Smith. It is quite possible that OG/RT may not be a high pick as some have indicated.
McCain could leave for a chance at starting plus he should be feeling heat from Brandon Harris. I'd be lying if I said RCB with KJ, Ball and Carmichael does not concern me. This is position I'll be watching this season as I keep up with college corners.
ILB is an issue but just don't see any ILB that screams "pick me" early rounds that would stand out above my selections. I also am leaning towards Bradie James being re-signed for 2013 IF he is what Wade expects.
FB. I too would like to have a draft pick for about 8 years and why I push for one on last day of 2012 draft.