View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012   #25
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: rmartin65's Way Too Early Mock

I feel a bit silly re-doing a mock since no college football has been played, but school has not picked up yet, and I am bored. Have at it.

Round 1- Iowa TE CJ Fiedorowicz, 6’7”, 265 lbs
I am not changing this. While Graham looks solid thus far in pre-season ball, he has still not proven anything in a real game. Furthermore, Fiedo brings a new element to the Texans’ TE corps- a truly effective blocker. OD and Graham are serviceable, but I think that Kubiak and Smith are still looking for that Bruener-type TE. Fiedo can block at that level, and be a pass catching threat to boot. I really think that this guy can turn out to be the next Gronk. Another TE to watch out for is Michigan State’s Dion Sims. A big player (6’6” 280), Sims displays incredible athleticism. However, he has had injury problems and at least one legal incident. Still, a heck of a talent who could rise up the boards.

Round 2- Wisconsin OT Ricky Wagner, 6’6” 320 lbs
Not to knee-jerk or anything, but the RT spot looks like it could stand some more talent. I am not saying that Wagner will immediately take the starting job, but he should be part of a great training camp battle. To fit in the Texans’ scheme he will need to drop some weight, but the talent is there.

Round 3- Wisconsin ILB Chris Borland, 5’11” 250 lbs
Staying in the Big 10, I am a huge fan of Borland. He is explosive, physical, and gets to the football. While he does lack ideal height/length, he is athletic enough and smart enough to overcome such a deficiency. He has struggled with injuries in the past, so if he gets injured again I see him returning to school. Another ILB to watch is Michigan State’s Max Bullough. Bullough is a better prospect than Borland, and, should he declare, could go in round 2. Definitely a player to keep an eye on.

Round 4- Duke QB Sean Renfree, 6’4” 225 lbs

Renfree has big time potential. He is prototypical size, has a prototypical arm, and is being tutored by the same guy who worked with the Manning’s. While definitely still a work in progress, Renfree has the potential to mature into a top-notch NFL QB. At the very least, Renfree should turn into a serviceable backup, which is a value chip to have.

Round 5- Colorado FS/SS Ray Polk, 6’ 205 lbs

Polk is an ex-runningback turned defensive back. Polk can really deliver some blows on the ballcarriers, but he needs to do a better job wrapping the guy up. Furthermore, his lack of experience on the defensive side of the ball shows- he does not play the ball very well in the air. So while he plays FS for Colorado, I think he plays SS in the NFL. He could become our replacement to Quin.

Round 6- Eastern Kentucky WR Tyrone Goard, 6’3” 195 lbs

Let me just say this- I am happy with the young potential we have at receiver. However, it is still unproven. Goard is a boom/bust type player who is well worth the risk here in the 6th. A large player who can box-out with the best of them, Goard is definitely a man amongst boys at EKU

Round 7- Kansas OLB Toben Opurum, 6’1” 250 lbs

I like Opurum’s potential as a pass rusher, so this pick remains.

Upon completion of this mock, the one thing that I am uncomfortable with is the lack of NT. I don’t want to spend a high pick on one, since Cody and Mitchell have performed admirably and Fangupo looks solid, but I still think a mid to late rounder is worth looking at. I just don’t have that guy on my radar yet.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote