View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012   #127
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The improbable improvement of Kareem Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Unless you've got a coach that knows what he's talking about. Once the ball is in the air, who cares what that receiver is doing? A DB should read the man, his eyes, face, hands, hips... use those clues to determine when the ball is in the air, turn & locate it... doesn't matter where the WR is, play the ball.

Now that should only be one of the techniques used by a CB to do his job. It should be used frequently, but there are cases where it isn't practical. I can't think of one off the top of my head, but I'm sure there is one.
Go look at these 4 plays - all in the second quarter.
The defenders were also in trail position.
None of them attempted to turn his head to look at the ball.
That includes D. Manning, Quin, and B. James (twice);

1-10-HST 33 (12:51) (Shotgun) D.Brees pass incomplete deep middle to J.Graham.
PENALTY on HST-B.James, Defensive Pass Interference, 22 yards, enforced at HST 33 - No Play.

1-10-HST 28 (7:19) (Shotgun) D.Brees pass incomplete deep right to J.Graham (D.Manning).
Manning played the same technique I mentioned and was able to defend the pass; even though it may have been Demps who was the one that knocked the ball out.

3-3-HST 21 (6:36) (Shotgun) D.Brees pass incomplete deep left to J.Graham (B.James) [M.Alexander].
On this one, James may have been a little early (and probably made contact with the TE before the ball arrived) but at any rate, he also played the same technique I mentioned and was able to defend the pass.

1-10-NO 23 (2:04) (Shotgun) D.Brees pass deep right to J.Graham pushed ob at HST 20 for 57 yards (D.Manning) [B.James].
Penalty on NO-J.Graham, Illegal Touch Pass, declined.
PENALTY on HST-T.Jamison, Personal Foul, 15 yards, enforced at NO 23 - No Play.
On this one, Quin wasn't able to defend the pass but he was right there (but missed the tackle - about 20 yards from the LOS.)

At the end of the day, they all played the same technique as Jackson when they were in the same trail position.
That is what they were taught to do.

On the other side of the ball, on one play the CB P Robinson was using his help inside. It's OK for him to try to locate the ball, he was ahead of AJ.
But he did it too early (before the receiver makes the break).
AJ got immediate seperation from him. Luckily for him, the safety made a good read and reacted quickly to come up and break up the pass.

3-12-NO 39 (10:26) (Shotgun) M.Schaub pass incomplete deep left to A.Johnson (M.Jenkins).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote