View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012   #28
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our first round pick Whitney Mercilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He looked pretty good in the first game in pass rush situations. Against the run game, he didn't look as good although he held up better than I expected him to.

In the second game, he really didn't flash much at all. I didn't see any good pressure by him.

I think they've got the luxury, at this point at least, to not worry about having to speed up his development. I expect to see him giving Reed and Barwin breathers and being part of the rotation and I expect Wade to unveil some packages with all our best pass rushers on the field when the real games start... if not in the Saints game.
Mercilus played WOLB

I counted 9 pass plays that he was in.

He dropped back into coverage twice.

He beat his man to the inside twice, but both times they were quick passes.

On the long pass play to Jenkins for 32 yards (Ball sucks), both he and the WDE rushed the outside gap so he was neutralized by his own man.

On the next pass (incompletion, but Jenkins beat Ball again), Mercilus beat his man late and would have gotten to the QB in just a tad less than 4 secs.
There was no push or penetration in the middle.
If there was, the QB has to pull back, and Mercilus would have a chance to get to him around the 3 sec mark.

He was neutralized by the OT once and there were 2 other quick passes in which there was nothing he can do.

The pass rush can be most effective if 2 or 3 players (including the back end) combine to make it happen.

Of all the run plays he was in, none was directly toward him.

He was in on the same stop with the NT Harris to limit the RB to a one-yd gain (due to the effort of several other guys on play side - I mentioned this play in the thread about NT Harris).
He got off the block of his man very nicely, I must say.

All and all, I think he had a solid game.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote