View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012   #5
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BADBOY's 2013 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Appreciate the feedback. Time got away from me while posting this thread and researching. Had to present it without some explanations due to an appointment I had. Here goes:

Rhodes: I think NFL is going to taller bigger WRs as are Texans. Rhodes pretty much handled Michael Floyd & does well as a cover type CB. http://unconquerednoles.com/articles...er-rhodes.html

IMO, Rhodes is exactly type of bump and run CB that many thought KJ was. McCain is a FA in 2013. McMannis (4.5) has shown little so far as has Roc Carmichael (4.56). Ball should be cut leaving basically Joseph, KJ and Harris. I will give up a touch of speed for extra 3 inch height. Also at 215 + Rhodes would not be manhandled by an AJ type WR. I am drafting him as a CB not FS. That is a luxury. Please see my thoughts on safety depth below.

I have posted desire for OL but after reflection, don't see Wade Smith leaving. Brown/Smith/Myers/Brooks/Newton for next two years. I hesitate to use a first on a RG & quite possible Matthews & Barrett Jones will be gone.

Lester: Spent some time debating this position. Quin our SS & also a FA after 2012 and has been adequate but imo only slightly above average. Manning will be in his third year 2013 and in 2014 will be 32 YOA. His $4.5 m could be cut as no bonus and $9m guarantee has been paid. IMO, safety is a weak area if Quin does not return and we can't pay them all.

When I comment on Rhodes size and probable transition to FS, it's his weight that I'm talking about not his height. I remember an interview posted on here months ago with Vance Joseph who was talking about KJ and Harris being good in short yardage coverage but that their weight and lack of long speed is what hindered them in pass coverage. He also said that both players were losing weight in the offseason, gaining long speed, and working on their skill set to be better cover corners down field. His implications were pretty direct that their weight caused a lack of long speed which hurt their down field coverage. Since both have lost the weight and gotten alot better in their pass coverage. Rhodes is too heavy and slow to be a good CB at the NFL level. I'm pretty safe in saying that he'll either have to lose weight, gain speed, and work on his skill set to be a successful NFL CB or most likely he'll transition to FS. If you insist on a 1st round CB then give us Johnathan Banks but I doubt he falls to us, probably a top 20 pick.

As for OG, I think Brooks starts next year just not sure which side of Myers he'll be on. Brooks taking W. Smith spot would make more financial sense but we'll see. On a related note, 2013 seems to be a really good year for OT and OG, their's quality and depth at both positions. I think we'll draft one of each in 2013 and would like to see it in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

As for SS, I think we re-sign Quin to a team friendly deal. Your right Quin's not great but he's decent enough to give a 3yr. extension to for the right price while we spend our upper draft choices elsewhere. I'm not arguing with the pick, if it were made Lester would be a great addition to the team, I just see higher priorities on the D-line next year at NT and DE. I'll worry about Mannings contract and age in 2014 next year, we've got more than enough on our plate for now.

As for WR, I think your missing the big picture. Yes Jean and Martin are young and impressive but I think both of them top out as a #2 or #3 WR. I don't think either has the potential to be a true #1. I'm looking for someone to replace Walter next year with potential to take over for AJ soon cause he ain't getting any younger or healthier any time soon.

I'll say it again, I can foresee next offseason being alot bloodier than this past one due to all the cuts made because of the locked down salary cap. Until the owners are finished exacting their pound of flesh retribution on the players for last years strike/lock out alot of teams are going to have to make really hard decisions.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote