Originally Posted by Wolf6151
Finally a mock to critique, it's been a while. Props for putting one out this time of year.
1. Rhodes, I like the player but not for the Texans. I don't think his size and lack of speed will transition to the NFL well and that he'll be a FS at the next level. I think he'll eventually be a very good FS, I just don't see the need for a 1st round FS on the Texans at this time.
2. Lester, Wow very surprised that you have our first 2 picks being in the secondary especially since our secondary is young, talented, and seems to be playing well at this time. I'm not against the pick, I like the player and think he's talented and would be a very good value in the late 2nd round. I just expect our 1st and 2nd round picks to be starters or very close to it and don't see the need for upgrades in the Safety positions. I don't think Quin or Manning are going anywhere, but Lester would be a definite upgrade in our depth at Safety.
3. Davis, I don't know anything about him but thanks for throwing another name out there for me to keep an eye on and research. I like his size and speed and WR is certainly a need.
3b. Fiedorowicz, I don't know anything about him either but overall I'm not impressed by next years class of TE's. I agree with the need at the position though, I can see a scenario where OD is a salary cap casualty. I really like his size, finally a big TE.
4. Dysert, I don't know anything about this guy either but really don't see the need for another mid round QB at this time with Yates and Keenum on the squad.
5. Cobble, I remember you mocking him last year and I questioned his athleticism at his size. I agree with the need at the position, someone to work in rotation with Mitchell at NT. Some size on the D-line is always a good thing, but I think it's a higher priority like 2nd or 3rd round.
5b. Jackson, don't know much about this guy but I like the size and productivity. He'd compete with Louiseau for a roster spot next year and either would solidify our depth at ILB.
6. Foltz, good OG depth if still available this late. I really liked your Alvin Bailey pick from a couple months ago.
7. Waddle, OT is a definite need but I think it's a higher priority, 3rd or 4th round. I like what I read about the guy but his listed speed at 5.3 is awfully slow for an OT and he might be a better fit at OG. If he can lose some weight and gain speed and agility, he might wind up being a good pick.
Appreciate the feedback. Time got away from me while posting this thread and researching. Had to present it without some explanations due to an appointment I had. Here goes:
Rhodes: I think NFL is going to taller bigger WRs as are Texans. Rhodes pretty much handled Michael Floyd & does well as a cover type CB. http://unconquerednoles.com/articles...er-rhodes.html
IMO, Rhodes is exactly type of bump and run CB that many thought KJ was. McCain is a FA in 2013. McMannis (4.5) has shown little so far as has Roc Carmichael (4.56). Ball should be cut leaving basically Joseph, KJ and Harris. I will give up a touch of speed for extra 3 inch height. Also at 215 + Rhodes would not be manhandled by an AJ type WR. I am drafting him as a CB not FS. That is a luxury. Please see my thoughts on safety depth below.
I have posted desire for OL but after reflection, don't see Wade Smith leaving. Brown/Smith/Myers/Brooks/Newton for next two years. I hesitate to use a first on a RG & quite possible Matthews & Barrett Jones will be gone.
Lester: Spent some time debating this position. Quin our SS & also a FA after 2012 and has been adequate but imo only slightly above average. Manning will be in his third year 2013 and in 2014 will be 32 YOA. His $4.5 m could be cut as no bonus and $9m guarantee has been paid. IMO, safety is a weak area if Quin does not return and we can't pay them all.