View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Another terribly early 2013 Texans mock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Brooks has surprisingly quick feet for a man his size, not so much speed which means he can get in front & stay in front of edge rushers. Got me to thinking when you brought up the future of Texans OL. How about this, Duane Brown LT, Derek Newton LG, Myers Center, Ben Jones RG & Brandon Brooks RT? Brandon actually has superior arm length to Winston would bring back pancaking off edge, pulling downfield & destroying people in the running game that Winston was so adept at doing. Jones is nasty in tight space, will fight scratch & claw to protect his QB & can reach the second level in ZBS as well. Newton is athletic, stunning hand punch would lock down left side with Duane. Mondek will replace Butler as the swing tackle. That would make-up the no fun, don't want to face that Texan OL which could dominate opponents.

Draft related, if this is not applicable then I might just target OT with 1st selection? Can't go wrong with a Matthews, Jake is another in long line of talented NFL pedigree who would solidify an already talented, young OL.
Just my view but after only two preseason games, I'm seeing Brown, Smith, Myers, Brooks and Newton by midseason. I think Kubes likes Newton at RT and he wants to send message to Butler who will be a FA to keep pushing Newton. Brooks could be a good RT but he has LG written all over him and I think he is Wade Smith's replacement. Jones has body style for OG but I'd rather keep him learning this difficult position behind Myers.

You can call me a terse crystal ball reader all you want but until salary cap loosens, we better start replacing higher dollar vets with younger, cheaper guys. I think Jones can replace Myers in 2013 and an OG/RT like Matthews who could start day one is way to go. 2013: Brown, Brooks, Jones, Matthews and Newton locks the line for years.