View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Another terribly early 2013 Texans mock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I missed this thread 3 weeks ago, my bad man.

1) Hamilton- I dont know a ton about the guy, when I watched Arkansas last year he never stood out to me. But just looking at size and athleticism, he is a player worth keeping an eye on. However, I feel that you are reaching for a position of need, rather than grabbing a better player at a different position, and then looking to fill the WR hole in the 2nd or 3rd.

2) I love Hyde, one of the better DBs in the draft. If it turns out he is too slow for CB, he should be able to play FS in the NFL. Also, the guy loves ST. Love this pick.

3) Big NT prospect, you know I love the idea. He is definitely one to watch for next year, and 3rd round seems about right. As you said, he is a gamble, but worth the risk here.

3b) I really think an OT is going to be drafted. I did some research on this guy after you dropped his name in another thread, and I was impressed.

4) Larimore retired, as mentioned in a different thread. Bummer, because I also thought he would make a heck of a pro, as did beerlover.

5) Waggner- I know nothing about the guy. I think you may be grabbing too many DBs, as the position looks pretty well filled on the Texans.

5b) With this many picks, it cant hurt to take a gamble on some raw small schoolers that could be home runs. Patton has caught my eye as well.

6) I like the other Maryland DT better (Vellano), but he is going to go in the 4th round (in that range). You cant ever have too much DLine depth, so rock on.

7) You have BPA here, but I am going to suggest looking for an OLB here. In the 3-4, like I have said, I see an OLB being drafted every year.

All in all, it is a good list of people to look into for the next year. Nice job.

Thanks for the input...

1. Yes I might be reaching for position over taking BPA but I think our need at WR can't wait til the end of the 2nd or 3rd rounds when the top WR's will be gone by then. We've got good depth pretty much every where else on the team, it's time to take a top WR and develop them. I'm looking for a guy that can be a #2 quickly with potential to be a future #1. I think there's a better than average chance that this could be Walter's last year with the Texans and although I like Marten in the slot at #3 WR, I don't think Posey will ever be anything more than a #4 rotational guy and the same can be said for Jean. I think we need a big time improvement in quality and youth at WR, thus the reason for the Patton pick in the 5th as well. Hamilton is currently listed as a 2nd round pick but I think he's in a great position to move up to the 1st round. All the great WR talent ahead of him last year graduated Arkansas to the NFL so he'll be "The Man" at WR and he's got a top QB slinging him the ball in Tyler Wilson. He's poised for a climb in the rankings much more so than Terrance Williams who will have QB issues at Baylor now that RGIII is gone, and I'm not sure what the QB situation is like for Marquess Wilson at Wash. St.. I think Justin Hunter goes before us in the 1st but Da'Rick Rogers might be a possibility as well.

2. I'm glad you like Hyde as well but remember this mock was done several weeks ago before the emergence of our youthful secondary in TC and preseason game 1. If everyone does well this year CB could possibly be lowered in priority or taken off completely.

3. I think Shaun Cody and Antonio Smith both stand a good chance of being gone at the end of this season so an athletic big man is a must and Sylvester Williams would work in the rotation with Earl Mitchell at NT. Also the reason for the pick of A.J. Francis in the 6th, added depth of big men on the D-line.

3b. I agree an OT will be drafted and I think Nixon has great size and speed for the position. Butler could be gone after this season and Newton will need some competition at RT as well as a new backup swing OT. He'll need to add some bulk but he's got the height to carry it.

4. Larimore has retired and I wish him well. Just like #2 this was done prior to the emergence of our current ILB's and could possibly be lowered in priority or taken off completely due to the good play of James, Dobbins, Louiseau, and Alexander. I think we've got some decent depth here.

5. The secondary is looking good so far, Waggner would simply be competition with Nolan and Demps at FS. Maybe an improvement. I like a FS with CB experience and Waggner has great size for the position.

5b. See #1.

6. See #3.

7. I couldn't really think of another position to pick some depth for. I disagree with another OLB, I just don't see the need. Maybe a top notch FB like Zach Boren from Ohio St. or another WR. If we draft a bunch of WR someone's got to turn out to be useful.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 08-17-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote