View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Another terribly early 2013 Texans mock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
It's 4:30 am and I'm bored at work so I thought I'd throw together a quick mock since no one has done one in a while. This mock is based on keeping Schaub, Barwin, Brown and drafting in the late 20's.

1. Cobi Hamilton-WR from Arkansas, he's currently listed by Walter and CBS as a 2nd round prospect but he'll be a senior and has a very good QB prospect returning. He should be the #1 WR at Arkansas this year and have a big year, I think he moves up. Good size and average speed, lots of SEC experience.

2. Mycah Hyde-CB from Iowa, very good size for a CB in the NFL and good speed. Also good college productivity, and adds some quality depth to the team. You can never have enough good CB's.

3. Sylvester Williams-DT from N.C., this pick might take some luck but I like his size and mobility, good agility for a big man. He'd work in a rotation with Earl Mitchell at NT after Sean Cody leaves due to FA.

3b. Xavier Nixon-OT from Florida, he's a little light weight for the OT position but with his height and age he should be able to add some weight without losing quickness/agility. Butler may be gone after this next season and though the Texans seem high on Newton, Nixon would be the backup/swing OT and it would give him time to add the bulk.

4. Patrick Larimore-ILB from UCLA, quality depth behind Cushing, James, and Dobson or may take the other ILB rotational position away from James or Dobson and alot less expensive.

5. Prentiss Waggner-FS/CB from Tennessee, great size and speed for the position and I like a FS with CB coverage experience.

5b. Quinton Patton-WR from LA Tech, he might move higher with a good year so this pick might take some luck as well but he's currently listed by Walter and CBS in the 5th-7th rounds. Good size, speed, athleticism, ball concentration, field awarness, and doesn't seem afraid of contact.

6. A.J. Francis-DT from Maryland, I like his size and speed. Also has decent college productivity for a DT and Maryland produces some good athletes. Depth on the D-line and plays on jumbo packages, short yardage or goal line plays. Added bulk on the D-line is never a bad thing.

7. BPA, I'm thinking maybe a blocking TE, FB, maybe some depth at OG, RB or WR wouldn't hurt either.

Opinions?

P.S. 0430 hrs. sucks.
I missed this thread 3 weeks ago, my bad man.

1) Hamilton- I dont know a ton about the guy, when I watched Arkansas last year he never stood out to me. But just looking at size and athleticism, he is a player worth keeping an eye on. However, I feel that you are reaching for a position of need, rather than grabbing a better player at a different position, and then looking to fill the WR hole in the 2nd or 3rd.

2) I love Hyde, one of the better DBs in the draft. If it turns out he is too slow for CB, he should be able to play FS in the NFL. Also, the guy loves ST. Love this pick.

3) Big NT prospect, you know I love the idea. He is definitely one to watch for next year, and 3rd round seems about right. As you said, he is a gamble, but worth the risk here.

3b) I really think an OT is going to be drafted. I did some research on this guy after you dropped his name in another thread, and I was impressed.

4) Larimore retired, as mentioned in a different thread. Bummer, because I also thought he would make a heck of a pro, as did beerlover.

5) Waggner- I know nothing about the guy. I think you may be grabbing too many DBs, as the position looks pretty well filled on the Texans.

5b) With this many picks, it cant hurt to take a gamble on some raw small schoolers that could be home runs. Patton has caught my eye as well.

6) I like the other Maryland DT better (Vellano), but he is going to go in the 4th round (in that range). You cant ever have too much DLine depth, so rock on.

7) You have BPA here, but I am going to suggest looking for an OLB here. In the 3-4, like I have said, I see an OLB being drafted every year.

All in all, it is a good list of people to look into for the next year. Nice job.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote