View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012   #31
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92829 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Wow. I'm not going to jump in on y'all's QB debate but greatest of all time? I already stated the Giants won on a fluke play but even if the Patriots had completed the perfect season I wouldn't consider them the best any more than I would Miami going undefeated. The competition level counts. For instance the Cowboys first two nineties wins against the Bills - a team which was setting milestones all over the place and was a four in a row SB participant. Has there been another four in a row team after the merger? Strength of win counts as well. To continue the contrast using the same example, the Patriots barely won two SB's on Viniteri's foot. The Cowboys destroyed the Bills. To get to those SB's they beat teams many considered the best teams in the league in San Francisco and Green Bay. Different era and all but I consider that a more dominant team.
There was a very large consensus calling them the best team of all time before the SB played out. They had that game won, and a few miracle plays like you said and a dropped INT that should have closed it makes the only perfect season in the modern day NFL. The Dolphins team only beat a few winning teams that season in the regular season. I don't consider that Phins team even in the top 20 of all time personally.

Going back to the Pats, well they had Tom Brady who pretty much had the best season of all time for a QB. They had the WR that had probably the 2nd best season of all time for a WR. They had a fantastic WR in Welker who worked the inside routes and possession plays. Hell, Stallworth had just came off his best season of his career as a 3rd WR, and Gaffney was nothing to sneaze at that season. That offense was unstoppable and they weren't just beating teams. THey were destroying teams and blowing them out of the stadium. That team had a ton of ex SB winners as well. A lot of them were older at that point, but still solid vets. Seau was on that team to even though he was old. But guys like Harrison, Bruschi, and Vrabel were still there.

That Cowboys team would be a strong team in history to argue with. I'll grant you that. But Aikman wasn't near the QB that Brady was especially that season. Irvin and Harper were not what Moss and Welker were. Emmit Smith trumps the running game though. Dallas had a better defense though.

Personally I'd put that 49ers team that blasted the Broncos out of the water 55-10 as the best argument for the best team other than that Patriots team. They had a really good defense with Roger Craig, Rice, Taylor, Rathman, and Lott. Joe Montana vs. Tom Brady!! That's a match up!
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote