View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012   #29
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88648 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Please check my words. I NEVER said or even implied that Eli was a better QB than Peyton. I just said that I would choose Eli based upon what I know right now.

I think Dan Marino was a better QB than John Elway. But I'd still choose Elway for my team.
Well I wouldn't put Marino above Elway either. Marino was a better passer, but Elway was a great passer and a complete baller. I've always put Elway up there as possibly a top 3 QB of all time. To me, he was always the best of that era right behind Joe Montana. Pretty much the same way Manning has been the best right behind Tom BRady whom I think is better than any of them.

Quote:
Think of it this way: QBs do not operate in a vacuum on a one man team. Peyton is easily considered 1a or 1b in the argument of greatest QBs of this generation with Brady. However, that comes with a price tag, and in a league of finite resources, you have to pay the price tag for these QBs which then financially limits you at other positions. I think Peyton costs too much for teams to put out consistently deep rosters, which is why his defenses have historically suffered as a result. Brady was fortunate in having Belichick, a great defensive coach, as his HC.
Brady was fortunate yes, but half of his career he has had just an average defense. BRady has made things a lot easier for his defense over the years be scoring so much and making other teams pass in the 2nd half making their opponents scheme predictable.

Quote:
So the 18-0 Patriots sucked? Give me a break man! They were on the verge of being considered the greatest team ever if they won that Super Bowl. It is laughable to even suggest otherwise.
When did I ever say that? I never suggested anything like that. I stated that it wasn't the same team that Manning had been losing to all of those years. The 18-0 Patriots is the best team of all time as far as I'm concerned. Everyone was ready and willing to crown them as that when they went into the Sb. I don't think that some miracle play and dropped INT that would have closed the game changes that. That team was superior to any other SB team I've ever seen or studied.

Quote:
Purely your subjective opinion on defining elite.
Well what is yours? I mean elite is the best of the best. It can only be a few.

Quote:
Do you think Eli will make the HoF?
I don't know yet. I'm guessing that he probably will. If he doesn't win another SB though, a lot of that will hinge on the fact that his last name is Manning, he played for a team in NY, and the attention from being Peyton's brother. He might win another SB though, because that team is stacked.

Quote:
I'd take Big Ben over Peyton, too. *gasp!*
What!? I'm as big of a fan as anyone for Ben, but I simply can't get behind the idea that he would be a better option to have than Manning. You put Manning behind that Steelers defense for all these years, and who knows.

Quote:
Just like I would take Troy Aikman over Dan Marino, who was clearly a superior QB to almost every QB that ever existed.
Marino is up there, but I don't have him in my top 5 honestly.

The more I'm reading from this, it seems that you are basing everything mainly off of rings and not looking at the circumstances as much. Rings are huge for the discussion, but so are numbers, leadership, and the ability to consistently win with different sets of players. That's the biggest reason why Brady amazes me as much as he does along with Elway as well.

Quote:
But clearly, the dude has ice water in his veins many times when it matters. Don't be shocked if he wins another ring before it's all said and done. I won't be.
I won't be. I was one of the only people that I knew or talked to that picked the Giants to win the SB once the post season started. People told me I was crazy for thinking that they'd beat the Packers last season, but their defense was clicking big time again. I picked them, mainly based off of their defense though. Not Eli's brilliance. Eli being an ex SB winner and a pretty good QB factored into it though.

Quote:
Again, not even suggesting anyone is a better QB than Peyton (or Brady). I'm just saying that between Peyton and Eli, based on what I know today, I'll take Eli on my team. You are free to disagree and that's alright with me.

Well I'd say that Peyton has even more ice water running through his veins as well. I mean, he has been to the same amount of SB's and almost won both. Again, Eli made the same mistake that Peyton did to lose to the Saints. The other team just didn't catch the ball and finish it. Same error by the QB though which seems like it would have changed your opinion on this based off of the criteria you seem to be using here. One thing that I have always hated is how so many QB's in history get knocked to far for going all the way to the SB, but slightly coming up short. I'll never take one game and make it change things that much. Going to the SB and losing is still nothing short of phenominal. It seems like people knock a guy down way to much just for not winning it. I couldn't believe that ridiculous stuff I heard people saying about Brady for not winning it last season when he put his team in position to win it. People were acting like he would have been the GOAT bar none had they won, but since Welker dropped a pass and then lost the ball, people were acting like he was some sort of losing QB in the big game or something. It was about as crazy as anything I've ever heard.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote