View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012   #27
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Yes, it is humerous to suggest that Eli is better than Peyton Manning. Even Eli realizes that.
Please check my words. I NEVER said or even implied that Eli was a better QB than Peyton. I just said that I would choose Eli based upon what I know right now.

I think Dan Marino was a better QB than John Elway. But I'd still choose Elway for my team.

Think of it this way: QBs do not operate in a vacuum on a one man team. Peyton is easily considered 1a or 1b in the argument of greatest QBs of this generation with Brady. However, that comes with a price tag, and in a league of finite resources, you have to pay the price tag for these QBs which then financially limits you at other positions. I think Peyton costs too much for teams to put out consistently deep rosters, which is why his defenses have historically suffered as a result. Brady was fortunate in having Belichick, a great defensive coach, as his HC.

Quote:
Those were not the same Patriots teams. A lot of the personal changed by the time Eli played them in the SB. The 2nd SB was a completely different team than the ones that Peyton lost to.
So the 18-0 Patriots sucked? Give me a break man! They were on the verge of being considered the greatest team ever if they won that Super Bowl. It is laughable to even suggest otherwise.

Quote:
Elite is only for a few QB's. Top 3 to 4 at best, and Eli is no way in hell better than Brees, Rodgers, Brady, and Peyton. I'll put him in a class with Big Ben who he has similar numbers to and similar success in the SB. That's a fair assessment.
Purely your subjective opinion on defining elite.

Do you think Eli will make the HoF?

I do, and I consider every QB that is inducted to be elite. Just my opinion, but like you, I have a right to it.

Quote:
Actually change that "better comparison" from Warner to Big Ben vs. Eli. Both guys benefited from having extremely top notch defenses that were the bigger reasons why they went to the SB and made some pretty strong clutch plays here and there.
I'd take Big Ben over Peyton, too. *gasp!*

Just like I would take Troy Aikman over Dan Marino, who was clearly a superior QB to almost every QB that ever existed.

My qualifications are different than your qualifications. No big deal. I just don't find your opinions as much a source of humor as you do mine.

Quote:
This here is a fair assessment. However, you'd have to give Romo the same slack other than his lack of SB rings. Romo plays in that same division, deals with just as much media criticisms, and puts up similar numbers every year, yet no one ever wants to credit Romo who also has to play for Jerry Jones. They just want to beat him down and deny the same types of conditions he is up against.
Romo isn't a bad QB, but he's certainly not clutch. It's not about stats, but those critical moments where mistakes define a player. They all make mistakes, and I'm not even suggesting that Eli is somehow perfect or G.O.A.T.

But clearly, the dude has ice water in his veins many times when it matters. Don't be shocked if he wins another ring before it's all said and done. I won't be.

Quote:
Let me ask you this? Are you going to suggest that Eli is somehow better than Tom Brady to now since "his team" beat Brady's team in two SB's? I hope not.
Again, not even suggesting anyone is a better QB than Peyton (or Brady). I'm just saying that between Peyton and Eli, based on what I know today, I'll take Eli on my team. You are free to disagree and that's alright with me.