View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012   #26
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

It's an opinion, man. Big deal. You have one, too. Glad you find it humorous.
Yes, it is humerous to suggest that Eli is better than Peyton Manning. Even Eli realizes that.

Quote:
I think Peyton is one of the greatest QBs ever in many ways, but his post-season record is what it is at the end of the day. The Patriots were his nemesis for most of his career. The same Patriots that his brother beat twice in championship games.
Those were not the same Patriots teams. A lot of the personal changed by the time Eli played them in the SB. The 2nd SB was a completely different team than the ones that Peyton lost to.

Quote:
Remember that time that Peyton beat an 18-0 team in the Super Bowl? Yeah, I don't remember that, either.
I completely remember Eli throwing the same type of pick 6 to the Patriots in that game which was a horrible pass that was a floater that Asaunte Samuel dropped. That pass he made should have changed the outcome and it was no different than the pick 6 that Peyton threw to lose the game against the Saints. The only difference was that the Saints player caught it. It doesn't change the huge error that Eli made that should have lost the game for his team. And lets not sit here and act like Eli's greatness got that Giants team to the SB that season either. He made some clutch plays here and there in the playoffs, but it was the Giants defense that carried Eli there if anything. The Giants D line all of a sudden became the most dominant D line of all time as far as the post season goes. You're forgetting a lot of facts here.

Quote:
But I do remember Peyton throwing a pick 6 in a Super Bowl that cost his team the championship.
I just mentioned the same type of error Eli made in his Sb which would make them even as far as that goes. And either way, that one play does not matter in the grand scheme of things. Had the Cardinals won the SB against the Steelers, would you be saying that Warner was better than Peyton as well? 3 SB's on two teams and he at least had like two MVP's to go with that. Eli has nothing like that going for him.

A much better discussion would be Eli vs. Warner.

Quote:
Eli is elite regardless if you refuse to recognize it or not. Dude's bust will be in Canton one day. They do not elect chumps into the HoF.
Elite is only for a few QB's. Top 3 to 4 at best, and Eli is no way in hell better than Brees, Rodgers, Brady, and Peyton. I'll put him in a class with Big Ben who he has similar numbers to and similar success in the SB. That's a fair assessment.

Actually change that "better comparison" from Warner to Big Ben vs. Eli. Both guys benefited from having extremely top notch defenses that were the bigger reasons why they went to the SB and made some pretty strong clutch plays here and there.

Quote:
Any particular reason you choose to misspell Peyton's name?
I don't really care.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with picking Peyton, either. I've never ripped on the guy.

I just see something intangible in Eli that goes beyond stats and numbers on paper. Eli has played his whole career in a much tougher division, in an outdoor stadium often in brutal weather conditions, and for a city that chews up athletes and spits them out. I think Eli is a solid cat and I would not be surprised if he wins a third ring before it's all said and done.
This here is a fair assessment. However, you'd have to give Romo the same slack other than his lack of SB rings. Romo plays in that same division, deals with just as much media criticisms, and puts up similar numbers every year, yet no one ever wants to credit Romo who also has to play for Jerry Jones. They just want to beat him down and deny the same types of conditions he is up against.

Let me ask you this? Are you going to suggest that Eli is somehow better than Tom Brady to now since "his team" beat Brady's team in two SB's? I hope not.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote