View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012   #24
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
OK maybe this is only terminology but yeah he is kind of a fluke and in saying that I really am not trying to put him down.

But c'mon the signature moment of his first "MVP" performance was a badly thrown pass miraculously caught by a WR who would be deemed not good enough to make the team the next year. That's a fluke.
Fluke like "the catch" or the "immaculate reception".

yeah, crazy play, but Eli was evading defenders like crazy, SHOULD have been sacked and the Patriots won, but we all know that's not how it played out. He never quit. He never let his mistakes get inside his head. He just kept pushing and it was just an amazing clutch performance, like hitting a 3 point shot to win an NBA championship type of thing.

And I think it elevates it even more that he did it with a receiver that was nothing special, not like he had HoF WRs his entire career like his brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
People saying they'd take Eli over Peydon?? Lol!! Talk about being complete prisoners of the moment. Eli isn't even close.

ANd I'm normally the guy that will argue against Peydon when people are trying to act like he is the best around, but Eli has never been an elite player in this league ever. Maybe he can change that notion going forward, but no one was suggesting that he was elite before the playoffs started last season. Hell, the season before last he threw over 20 INT's. Very good QB, but to suggest that he is better than Peydon all of a sudden doesn't even really warrant an argument as far as I'm concerned.
It's an opinion, man. Big deal. You have one, too. Glad you find it humorous.

I think Peyton is one of the greatest QBs ever in many ways, but his post-season record is what it is at the end of the day. The Patriots were his nemesis for most of his career. The same Patriots that his brother beat twice in championship games. Remember that time that Peyton beat an 18-0 team in the Super Bowl? Yeah, I don't remember that, either. But I do remember Peyton throwing a pick 6 in a Super Bowl that cost his team the championship.

Eli is elite regardless if you refuse to recognize it or not. Dude's bust will be in Canton one day. They do not elect chumps into the HoF.

Any particular reason you choose to misspell Peyton's name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Not me.

I would go with Peyton. You always have that chance to win with Peyton behind center.
Nothing wrong with picking Peyton, either. I've never ripped on the guy.

I just see something intangible in Eli that goes beyond stats and numbers on paper. Eli has played his whole career in a much tougher division, in an outdoor stadium often in brutal weather conditions, and for a city that chews up athletes and spits them out. I think Eli is a solid cat and I would not be surprised if he wins a third ring before it's all said and done.