View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012   #153
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Plaxico Burress Rumored to be Considered by Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I agree completely. Overall, I think it's a partnership between the HC, GM, and owner. But, I think both the owner and GM defer to Kubiak, who has the actual experiences as both a player and coach on Super Bowl teams at both levels.

All anyone has to do is look at our defensive coordinator history under Kubiak. Those were Kubiak hires with McNair's blessings and Rick Smith's job to obtain them. Even with Wade, deference was to Kubiak for approval, and with their long history together, it was a no brainer.

Look at our QB situation. With the exception of Carr, who was here for a year out of respect to McNair, the rest are all Kubiak's guys. That's one of his strengths as a coach, and we are better for it.

This is clearly Kubiak's team. He clearly answers directly to the owner, not a GM. I think looking at it as a partnership is key, though. This is not a power struggle in the FO, but more of a chain of command that everyone is in agreement with the same goal.

If Kubiak wanted Plaxico to be here, he'd be here. This is Kubiak's team, and specifically his offense.
I concur.

There are a lot of different ways to set up a front office with all sorts of different configurations and chains of command. McNair chose Kubiak to be his guy and set up the Front Office the way Kubiak wanted. So instead of a power struggle relationship between a strong GM and a coach who wants to buy the groceries, we've got this setup where Kubiak coaches and chooses his coaches while Smith gets player "orders" from the coaches and goes out to fill those orders.

I don't even think Smith has absolute final say on exactly which guys he signs although I do think he exercises the most power in that field. If Kubiak (or Wade or McNair, for that matter) doesn't want a guy, Smith's not going to sign him. It's not going to be like the Cowboys and Parcells where Jerry signed guys without Parcells's approval and forced those guys on him.

Overall, I think it's a smooth operation and I like it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote