View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012   #136
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Plaxico Burress Rumored to be Considered by Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
You are correct that most franchises don't work that way. But the Texans are very definitely different in this regard. Remember, Kubiak essentially hired Smith --- not the other way around. This is Kubiak's team.
See, I just don't think that's the whole truth.

To me, and if anybody has SOLID evidence to the contrary please show it, I think Rick Smith was hired because of a prior working relationship with Gary Kubiak (Broncos days) but was not hired solely because of his ties to Kubiak.

I mean, seriously, why would Bob McNair base his decision on which GM to hire based on what would make his HC the most happy??? If anything, you'd want a GM who is not emotionally tied to the HC. The two persons work together yet are separate in their duties to the team.

And folks, Rick Smith would have no problem sticking around in Houston long after Gary Kubiak has been let go or moves on for other reasons. The GM can have a lot of permanency if he handles his operational aspects very well. Coaches come and go, but a great GM can stabilize a team for decades (see: Steelers, Giants, etc.).

People give Gary Kubiak way too much consideration, IMO. Maybe I sell the guy way too short, though. All in all, I just don't think Gary Kubiak swayed Bob McNair to hire a FOK'er (Friend Of Kubiak). I don't think it was strictly because of Gary Kubiak's influence. A reason why I think that way: I seem to remember Gary Kubiak sticking with the David Carr Reclamation Project although you know damn well that there was no way in Dallas Texas (Hell) that Kubiak realllllyyyyy thought David Carr was going to be the future here. So that tells me that Bob had his own ideas back then, Kubiak is the new guy on the block back then, and I just don't see Kubiak having the sway with Bob that would get Rick Smith hired. Probably endorsed him, but not the overriding factor in Rick Smith's hiring.

I think Bob wanted an up-and-coming guy like Rick Smith, not some NFL beltway dude like Casserly who was ancient and whose glory hole years were behind him in the rearview mirror. It was just a plus that Rick had a connection to Gary, IMO.

Rick is hardcore. He's the guy who plays everyone the whole way and ends up running the show at the end of the movie. Smart, savvy in football, and I just think he'll be the Texans GM for the next 10 to 20 years. Easily. Gary? Not so much.