View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012   #13
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade Phillips Blitz Packages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
This article got me thinking about something, and especially the quoted portion below.

Texans pass rush could be overwhelming for quarterbacks

At first I was thinking that the John McClain wasn't thinking straight when he mentioned a 6-player blitz with these 6 players on the field. I still don't know that its going to happen at all this year, but its not outside the realm of possibility that we'll have Barwin, Reed, and Mercilus on the field at the same time playing linebacker. In Shawne Merriman's first year with San Diego and Wade as his DC there were times when he'd play inside and rush from the inside backer position. It wasn't something that he showed a lot, and I only remember him doing it his rookie year (particularly against Indy when they broke a long winning streak of the Colts in 2005) but don't be surprised if its unveiled against a team like Green Bay or New England.

The danger of that is you're going to have to play man, and leave the defense susceptible to giving up a big play. It would seem like Reed would be a more natural fit to move inside and rush if we were to bring a rush with these 6 guys, but the thought of it has me excited.
This quote struck me as odd, maybe a misspeak, when I read it, but maybe you're onto something here.
Quote:
Herring also talked about Reed’s “linebacker body.”

“That’s where people get discombobulated with him,” Herring said. “Look, he’s 6-2, 250. The fact that he was playing with his hand in the dirt (the three-point stance of a defensive end) in college turned him into a ‘tweener’ to some people. But he was always a ‘Mike’ linebacker to us. Half the teams in the draft wanted him bad, and the other half didn’t think he could (make the transition). We were in the half that saw the upside potential. He’s still projecting and growing as a player. The sky’s the limit.”
Maybe there's intent to use him in the middle more, now or in the future. Maybe they ultimately see him playing inside.