View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012   #13
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade Phillips Blitz Packages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
and it's possible, but i dont see it happening. to do so would put an OLB attacking the B gap or push the outside-most linebacker too far away to be effective. all have experience at defensive end so it's not out of the question to move inside, but it complicates an area of strength when there are many more productive options. if it were to be effective it would've been more so with a guy like mario with the size and strength to match up against guards as opposed to barwin. wade likes his extra rush coming from the inside linebackers and safeties.
Like I said in my initial post, I don't think its something he'll do a lot but it's possible. He has a track record of moving an OLB inside like I stated he did with Merriman his rookie year. I can't say I remember him doing it with any other teams, but I know for a fact he did it with him.

As far as backers blitzing from the inside, you're not necessarily looking for a guys strong enough to out physical a guard. You're looking to create mismatches with the amount of speed on the field. With Merriman, he disguised the looks so you didn't know where he was coming from. Depending on the protection of the offense, you may have a Guard/Center picking up a blitzing LB if he can recognize it in time and get there. Then most likely you'll have a mismatch of a RB picking up a LB. I'll take my chances with Cush, Reed, Mercilus, or Barwin against a RB any day of the week. Wade found ways to utilize his toys in San Diego.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote