View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012   #144
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Fair enough, but what on earth is leading you to think this way?? What have these guys done to give you this kind of confidence in them? Striking gold? I'm having a hard time even seeing either one of these guys panning out. If these two were drafted by the Jags would you see it that way? I'm just curious, because it just seems like some optimism without reasoning which is fine and all, but I'm just not understanding it. If I felt that way, than I'd probably agree with you, but I can't figure out what is leading you to think that both guys are going to be these steals of the draft and the future of our receiving core without at least seeing these guys play in 8 games of the regular season. I've seen a ton of pre season warriors even where folks get all excited only for big let downs. Jacoby Jones was a huge one that I even bought into at the time.
My main reasoning is that it seems Kubiak is shying away from that previous mentality he had of going for the small school WR (Jacoby).

He's going with proven producers whom I think he has plans for. Before, he was trying Jacoby as sort of a home run threat who was going to be fast and lethal.

I see Posey as a better version of Walter. He's got the blocking skills for our run game, but he's faster than Walter. And younger.

Martin is also a better version of David Anderson.

I see them as upgrades in two WR spots that have been weakened by Jacoby petering out and Walter getting older, slower.

With the loss of Dressen, it was crucial for Kubiak to rejuvenate the WR corps. Jacoby was really the only new WR we've been accustomed to for the past three years. So let's see what Kubiak's new WRs, including LeStar Jean, can do.

It takes as much faith to think they'll wash out as it does to think they'll excel and play a contributing role.

Lastly, we could have skipped JJ Watt and Brooks Reed in the 2011 draft in favor if some potential #1 WR to groom for AJ's spot. And we could have reached in the 2012 draft for that same heir apparent. At the end if the day, all things considered, we made the right moved in both drafts...free agency was helter skelter due to our untenable cap situation. We simply didn't have the flexibility to pursue WR1 guys, IMO.

It's not so much a deal of people reaching to protect Smithiak...because it could be just as easily said that some are reaching to condemn them for the unpardonable sin of not having his replacement already on the roster by now. 6 one way, half dozen the other...both are the same thing just different ways of saying it.

It's possible that we could beef up one area and have another suffer for it. We chose to beef up the defense over the past few years, and a UDFA named Arian Foster made up a lot of ground out of nowhere for us. Sometimes your plans don't work, sometimes the unforeseen ends up being your savior, and you can't always solve all problems on the board no matter how hard you try. What I am saying is this: We have what we have, so keys enjoy it and hope what we DO have ends up being a great deal in the end (i.e. Arian Foster's impact on this offense).