View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012   #93
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: USA Today: Kevin Walter is not a second-rate No. 2 receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRich View Post
I don't think he's accusing the coaches of coddling Walter, I think he's talking about the fans. KW has not been a good #2 for us, his performance has been on par with JJones who was insulted & ridiculed for producing the same results..... I know he also took a lot because of his bumbling punt receptions as well, but he's gotten plenty of slack for not stepping it up & replacing Andre Johnson on the field.

Now what eriadoc said is true, as far as the position goes. Andre is the X & KDub is the Z (or something like that) & that doesn't change when Andre is out. Jacoby becomes the X & KDub remains the Z

Still, when Andre is not in the game, we should be looking at Walter to have hundred yard games & a couple of TDs, not Jacoby.
I don't see fans coddling him, either. Maybe I'm conditioned by the treatment that David Carr received for so many years when fans were truly overprotective of him in spite of blatant evidence proving otherwise.

I think most fans would like to see an improvement at the no. 2 spot, but we also realize this team has had many needs and the staff has chosen not to address it, yet.

Besides, Walter was NEVER A.J.'s replacement. I do not understand the confusion about numbers when our offensive system is what it is and has not changed. Just because he's no. 2 on the depth chart does not automatically mean it's like a shark's mouth, where a tooth goes missing and there's a no. 2 that takes it's place. Walter is fulfilling a specific role in Kubiak's offense, like Vinny pointed out, and he has never been considered to be 1b except for those that do not like him and always bring it up.

This is why I stopped talking about Walter a long time ago and just let him do his thing. There is a lack of objectivity about some players by some fans, and Walter is one of those kinds of players.