View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012   #64
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: USA Today: Kevin Walter is not a second-rate No. 2 receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Kw just lacks the speed necessary to stretch the field, no problem with hands or ability to run the routes or make the blocks.
Its not just about having speed to stretch the field to me. Walter has struggled against man coverage the last couple of years. In zone he still is good because he knows this offense so well and knows where to find the open seams. He just lacks the quickness and acceleration to beat good corners running any route against man. I think thats why you'll actually see him playing inside more this year. Ideally you'd want Martin playing in the role, but we move our receivers around so much I don't even think it matters. All of the receivers including Andre will see snaps out of the slot at some point.

Just to put it out there, I really do like Walter and I'm glad he's on the team. Like I said earlier in this thread he does some really good things for our team. I think what everyone wants is a legit threat opposite Andre to help pull some of the double teams away from him. I've wondered for years how much better the offense could be with another downfield threat on the team. Jacoby was supposed to be that guy and it didn't work out. Thats not Walter's fault. I believe the Texans see Posey filling that role next year and down the line with Martin being our Stokley in the slot. Jean to me can fill Walter's shoes next year, but he'll have to get consistent making tough catches. That is one thing KW excels at.

Last edited by Texn4life; 08-03-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote