View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012   #4
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 11712 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO
Default Re: 1st time tailgaters - advice needed

J Lee, my 2 cents....

First congrats on your first game and also tailgating. You made the right call to make tailgating part of your gameday experience.

Nov 15th - not sure what kind of weather you'll get that day (hot, rainy, or nice fall day) so just keep an eye on it as you get closer.

SheTex correct that blue lot doesn't open till 4 hours before the game - some people still arrive early and wait in line in their cars. I find if you get there right at 8:00, you should still be fine.

As for recommended areas - if you're tailgating, you're in the recommended area. Think of it as a big ol party with your neighborhood and everyone is outside grilling. There's 2 or 3 entrances to the blue lot if I recall correctly and you'll follow a certain path to a certain area of the blue lot. I think it's the entrance off the feeder or first entrance off Kirby (street) will get you to the better areas. If I recall correctly, the "main" blue lot entrance will take you further away from Kirby.

If you can swing it, talk nice to the parking attendants, or just make a run for it - try to get near the trees or grass, in close proximity of the port-o-lets, and close proximity of an exit (though not vital, depending how long you hang out after the game)

Usually, you won't be able to park "across" the 2 parking spots, you'll have to pull in. Makes it easier for you to get out anyway as cars will be on each side of you. I suggest one spot for the car then use the adjacent spot to tailgate in. Make sure you have both parking passes displayed on the rear view mirror.

Do a quick setup and make sure to walk around a bit. Most are real friendly and sometimes offer what they're cooking for a taste. If you offer a beverage in appreciation, even better.

As noted above, nothing against the junior fans... but you'll have less stress and possibly more enjoyable tailgate & game if you don't bring the baby.

I usually start breaking down casually about an hour before kickoff (depending on how much you've got) so the group can start heading in approx 30-40 minutes before kickoff. Make sure you get in your seats in time for player intros - you'll love it.

Some good info in this thread also: first tailgate advice
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote