View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012   #98
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Adrian Peterson arrested in Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I'm not sure of the origin of GP's rant. I was just using it to piggy back after reading powda's informative post. I think GP's last line was more from a perspective in general about some of the less-than-positive stories and anti-cop sentiment in the NSZ, but he would have to confirm that to be the case. Like you have said before, though, good cop stories are not really newsworthy so we do not talk about them.
nu·ance (näns, ny-, n-äns, ny-)
n.
1. A subtle or slight degree of difference, as in meaning, feeling, or tone; a gradation.
2. Expression or appreciation of subtle shades of meaning, feeling, or tone: a rich artistic performance, full of nuance.

In other words, when things are black and white...people try and find nuances, subtle degrees of difference, as in meaning, feeling, or tone. In short: Such a person acts as if he/she has the inside track on something and other people merely need to be informed of their ignorance on the topic being discussed.

The problem with nuanced views, IMO, is that it's subjective and open to constant interpretation. Suddenly, the conversation becomes fractured and the main point is lost. Instead, the energy of the discussion is spent chasing all the various veins and rabbit trails of minutia.

mi·nu·ti·a (m-nsh-, -sh, -ny-)
n. pl. mi·nu·ti·ae (-sh-)
A small or trivial detail: "the minutiae of experimental and mathematical procedure" (Frederick Turner).

All the way around, there is no progress toward a sound conclusion that attempts to find truth. Instead, we attempt to create the truth via persuasive debate/speaking.

The lawyer representing Adrian Peterson, for example, is attempting to create a truth rather than finding what truth is really there. And if he can persuade a court of law that HIS truth is real (and it happens ALL the time in America) then what more can I say?

AN EXAMPLE:
One of the worst violators is American Christianity. There is no shortage of nuanced Christian mores in America. Turn on the TV, flip through the God channels, and see how many different views of grace, truth, revelation, etc. are out there for consumption by an all too eager Christian market. All one has to do is merely shop for their choice of church or denomination based on what church/denomination most closely resembles their current needs. And if you can't find it out there...just create one or persuade a few church members to split from the church and create a new brand of church that feels "more right."

I am not blanket labeling Christians on here, either. So I don't want people thinking I'm slamming them per se. I am merely saying that, unlike the Christianity you see in 3rd World nations, or nations were being a Christian is punishable by death or imprisonment, the brand of Christianity that I see in America is soft and mushy and can be formed and shaped to fit the person practicing it. That's a whole 'nuther topic though.

Nuanced thinking does not discriminate. It's found in all corners of the world and through the whole spectrum of human history. I just happen to think it's in concentrated form in America right now (and has been since the 1960s).

Even with what I typed, a nuanced person is going to pick it apart and apply their nuanced thinking towards my statements in order to make THEIR point. Sit and watch, it'll happen in short form.