View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012   #73
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Adrian Peterson arrested in Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
The one problem I do have with the story is actually a philosophical one not specific to this story, and that is off-duty police acting with full authority of the police. I have always had an issue with that, but it has no real bearing on this specific story.
I have the same misgiving - not specific to this story. I don't see why this power which belongs to everyone is not enough when off duty:

Quote:
Art. 14.01. OFFENSE WITHIN VIEW. (a) A peace officer or any other person, may, without a warrant, arrest an offender when the offense is committed in his presence or within his view, if the offense is one classed as a felony or as an offense against the public peace.
Maybe some tweaks for officers being automatic CHL off-duty, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
Regardless, I hope the bar has cameras that caught whatever did happen but I tend to give the cops the benefit of the doubt since they normally just want everyone to go home so they can also leave.
Supposedly they do have cameras.

Sure generally the cops working security are fine. The very great majority of the time in fact. But, and I am not saying this applies here, every once in a while you get the jackass. For example I was standing at a bar downtown next to a female friend and she started to get into an argument with the bartender. All the sudden I get two hand shoved in the back, whirl and there you go an off-duty but in uniform cop who literally said "what you gonna do?" As far as I am concerned he should have lost all legal protection at that point. If you can't have the professionalism expected of an on-duty officer then you shouldn't have the authority or protection when off-duty.