View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012   #42
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Texans a run-first team, I think not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
I think someone's going to have to define what makes a running team before much more progress can be made in this thread. Some terms are to loosely tossed about and have subjective meanings.
I agree. Does an offense have to run the wildcat or have a passing attack that would be considered putrid in 1972 to be considered "run oriented"?

The Texans offense revolves around the zone blocking scheme. Not only the running game, but much of the passing game. That's the foundation. And it has been that way with Kubiak's offenses for years. As Denver's O.C., the Broncos finished in the top 10 in rushing attempts in 9 of his 11 seasons. Top 2 in 5 seasons. But the passing game didn't suffer, as they were top 10 in yards/attempt in 7 seasons.

2011 was closest to what Kubiak wants to see with the Texans offense. He was able to achieve that balance because his defense was no longer a sieve. I see more of the same in 2012. Control the clock, keep your defense fresh, make big plays in play action with your healthy QB and #1 WR. It hasn't always worked out as hoped, but that's always been the plan.